Driveclub Mechanics

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Randum, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Randum

Randum Car Junkie

[​IMG]
    Hello all,
    As you may or may not have seen, Driveclub was a huge fail for...well...a long time...

I was pleasantly surprised to see when I logged in this past week, the online functionality is working as intended, minus a couple of hiccups on the leaderboards loading, which is not game breaking.

Since I paid the full price, I figure I should give this game a whirl, because I am an avid racing fan.

I am impressed, and would rather save the review for another thread, but the reason I am posting this- I am still trying to figure out the mechanics.

I have never seen a "sim-like" racer put drifting into actual races. You are racing a time trial...but you still have drift challenges pop up?

I tried to take the Forza approach - go aggressive and feather gas/brake and tail brake, but doesn't seem to work all the time. I also tried the ultra-conservative approach I use for mostly Gran Turismo or any old rigid sim, and rely on keeping the tires planted - this works only sometimes.

So I can only conclude this game has an interesting hybrid between realistic, but still arcade - and haven't quite mastered it. If you have any good techniques, let me know so I can finally catch RAVENBLADE!!!

Few things I found to work:
    -Manual transmission is king?
    -No brake/gas lines, so rely on those flags - pending car of course, I try to brake pretty much on the flags and tail-brake into the corner unless its green, or yellow, I tend to try and coast through depending on elevation
    -Get aggressive; yes I rub paint, but not smash into cars...
  2. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

I think it leans much closer to the arcade side of things than Forza or GT, which to me is a bit of a minus as I don't mind the whole invisible wall thing in a sim because you should be staying on the road anyway. I also find that it is definitely required to bump and grind against other cars because they just don't play nice.

As for traction, to me it feels sort of like there is not enough in between 100% traction and 0% sliding off track.

I really wonder how it feels with a wheel.
    Randum likes this.
  3. Randum

Randum Car Junkie

I should take out my Logitech wheel and see how it works. I find that if a game leans towards more 'arcade' feel the wheel is not a great option for me.