Final Nintendo Direct of 2013 - (Time to Get a Wii U?)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Trickman, Dec 18, 2013.

• by Trickman, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM
  • Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

My latest system purchase was a Wii U. I jumped in about a year after the system launched because of a price drop, included games and the release of Super Mario 3D World. The numbers aren't in yet, but this holiday season, it looks like PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are going to be the dominant "next-gen" system purchases by the end of this year, leaving Wii U a pretty distant 3rd in the ever-changing console wars.

This latest Nintendo Direct video however, shows that even though Nintendo may be down, they're not out. And it may even give some people that were hesitant to jump on-board the Wii U bandwagon an excuse to do so. Check out this video of what was just recently touted by Nintendo President, Satoru Iwata. Some of these are 3DS titles, so please take note of that.

Here's a breakdown by time when these new games/announcements appear:

00:23 - Hyrule Warriors
    02:33 - Kirby Triple Deluxe
    05:40 - Yoshi's New Island
    07:26 - Chibi-Robo! Photo Finder
    10:22 - Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter
    12:16 - Bravely Default
    15:23 - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    17:51 - Sonic Lost World
    19:50 - Wii Sports Club
    22:40 - NES Remix
    24:31 - Dr. Luigi
    27:33 - Super Smash Bros.
    30:24 - Mario Kart 8

If you're like me and still need your Nintendo fix every once in a while, this is pretty good news. More of the same? Maybe. But is that necessarily a bad thing? Nintendo's upcoming lineup looks to be pretty solid. A lot of the major Nintendo franchises are represented and the future looks pretty awesome for Wii U and 3DS.

hyrulew1.jpg
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Trickman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Prime
    The problem with "more of the same" is that it's all they've been doing for the past 20 years at least.

They should maybe come up with something else - their hardware proves they can come up with new ideas... Why not put some of that effort into new IPs?
  2. Randum
    Looks like some solid titles coming - I know I am excited for a new Kirby on the 3ds - good point from Prime, they really do not give us new IPs but mainly the same ones year after year - and part of the reason I am not overly excited for getting a Wii U yet - but Mario Kart really does scream "System seller" to me. Well done Nintendo, you have my attention!
  3. Trickman
    First party Nintendo titles are the reason I eventually keep coming back and buying their systems. Why? They're usually quality titles and I can't get them anywhere else. Yes, I agree that they can do more with this new hardware, but going with a proven formula franchise that automatically generates them money is going to be first and foremost on their priority list. I'm sure launching a brand new IP on the chance it will pass or fail with millions of dev. dollars at stake is not without risk, and something they don't take lightly. They probably think it's best left up to their 3rd party partners.
    NinjaWTFbbq likes this.
  4. NinjaWTFbbq
    Yeah some good looking games there. Really thinking of getting a Wii U but will probably wait till we get more news on X from monolith
  5. mikestrife
    These all look like solid titles. Interested in Hyrule Warriors. I like that Nintendo is still open to letting others play around with their franchises. Just downloaded NES Remix and can't wait to check that out.
  6. Trickman
    I'd be interested to know how NES Remix is. Wondering if I want to pull the trigger on that one or not.
  7. GRSonic
    I was already thinking of getting WiiU for Bayonetta 2, but thought it was just silly getting it for only 1 game.

Now that "Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors" (that's what I'm going to call it and what the finalized title would be as) is announced, I got two games for WiiU that's piqued my interests for getting the console. But I'll wait until one of the game(s) is released so that I can get the WiiU and the game(s).