Game Completion Thread 2016!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anim8td_fan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

Let's continue the topic of which games you beat for this brand new year!

Previous Years:
    Boric likes this.
  2. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

Last Year I listed 30 games I completed, though I played a lot more tiny games. Anyway on to 2016!

0001 - The Music Machine - 6th January - PC STEAM - Scary. o_O
  3. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

1- Corpse Party- Blood Drive

Not as good as the first 2, but still fun
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

01. Pushcat (Steam, 2016/01/01, 12 hours)

Part Bolder Dash, part Columns, 50 puzzles from easy to super hard. The game requires mostly brainwork to progress, but a few puzzle screens also demand dexterity. I enjoyed Pushcat: the right level of difficulty, nice sprite work, scanlines (!) and great puzzle design that applies all mechanics in clever ways.

02. Saviors (Steam, 2016/01/01, 1.6 hours)

Widescreen vertical SHMUP, very fun, controls great, good balance and polish. Not the prettiest designs and horrible CG character portraits in its story mode. Core gameplay and soundtrack make up for all other shortcomings though. Cleared almost the whole game on 1 credit, but the final boss smoked me. The difficulty ramps up slowly, this SHMUP is very beginner friendly and enjoyable.
  5. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

01. Sonic: Lost World (Steam, Jan 9th 2016)

What an incredible game! I'm being fully serious when I say that this is the best Sonic title I've played since the MegaDrive games. Sonic Adventure 2 on the DreamCast used to be my all-time fave, but this game has easily surpassed that! Gone is that "trying too hard to be gritty/realistic" of the old 3D games, this is just fun, happy-go-lucky platforming and speeding around. The controls are different than what we're used to in a 3D sonic title, but the feeling it gave me whilst playing it was childlike awe and wonder, nostalgia for the original games. Sure, there are some cheap "falling off the world" deaths now and again, but that's the price you pay for moving fast in a 3D world. You might fall. And this is no easy game, once you hit world 3 and 4 it gets pretty dang intense!

Here's my updated thoughts on the game since finishing it!
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  6. RayG

0001 - The Music Machine - 6th January - PC STEAM - Scary

0002- The Moon Sliver - 9th January - PC STEAM - Made by the same guy as The Music Machine. Strange and spooky, lots of interesting story telling stuff happening, though I can tell he's imporved massively between this as his newer games!
    Prime likes this.
  7. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

03. Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered (Steam, 2016/01/13, 9.7 hours)

RPG with scrabble battle system, nice music and animations to sweeten the deal. There's a bit of grinding and luck involved. Completionist really need to love word puzzles in order to 100% this one. I had enough after beating the final boss and there's plenty more like time trials, endless mode, etc.
    Prime likes this.
  8. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

02. Little Party (itch.io, Jan 14th) - RayG told me about this game and I was looking for something to do for YG5M, so I downloaded this from itch.io for free! It's a cool bite-sized game about a middle aged mother trying to keep herself busy whilst her daughter throws an all-nighter with some friends. It'll last you a whole 20 minutes or so - took me a bit longer because I completely missed a small area I needed to go to to continue the story :/

Very charming, nice flat, painted visuals but I think the best part of it is definitely the music. Lovely. Check it out if you have half an hour to spend.

03. Hitogotchi (itch.io, Jan 14th) - Another quirky little title from itch.io in this game you play a monster who is being taken care of by a hired sitter. It can literally take you 5 minutes, but a lot happens in it. The game is set up to be a week of game time, each day consists of a morning, afternoon and night time, night time is specifically for sleep, but you can choose which activities to do for the other two. Talk, eat, play or sleep. It's a fun little excursion but it can get pretty dark o_O

it's worth playing a couple of times to see what different kinds of endings you can get :)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    ChryZ likes this.
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Hitogotchi looks awesome.
    Prime likes this.
  10. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I have an upcoming YG5M episode of it, it's really cool :D
  11. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

04. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger and the Terribly Cursed Emerald (itch.io, Jan 16th)
    Another really cool "quick" game. It's a silly first person title where you go in to play the game and someone's already playing. So you have to wait on them finishing. There's a strike going on though, so you have to help the director with all the game's elements you'd normally experience as the player, but essentially as a stage hand. Things go wrong pretty quick!

05. Orchids to Dusk (itch.io, Jan 16th)
    A 5 minute game about an astronaut having crash landed on an alien world with a very limited supply of oxygen. Really nice flat shaded art style :)

06. Metal Slug X (Steam, Jan 20th)
    Fantastic SNK style arcade action, decided to record the whole game multiplayer style with RayG! Look out for it soon on our YouTube Channel! :D
  12. RayG

0002 - The Moon Sliver - 9th January - PC STEAM - Intriguing

0003 - Metal Slug X - 20th January - PC STEAM - Haha! Yes, this was fun! The Animation is so well done and gameplay is crazyfun, good game!
    Prime likes this.
  13. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

04. Snakebird (Steam, 2016/01/22, 9 hours)

Perfect snakebird puzzle game, 50+ intricate stages, very little wiggle room (pun intended), flawless design and super polished. Delightful presentation and music, the animations and sounds as adorable as it gets.

05. Neko Atsume (Android, 2016/01/22, 10 hours)

Great little time waster without any fail state, just attract cats to play in your garden. The cats will gift fish in return for your efforts, the game's currency. It will let you buy new toys or fancier food. That's the core gameplay loop. The art is simple, but pretty and nicely animated. There's always something funny going on. Neko Atsume took ages to get boring. The app is free and there are no ads. IAP will let you buy additional fish, although there's really no need to: the game is designed to be a slow burn, might as well go with the flow.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  14. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

1. [PS4] Batman: Arkham Knight (1/24/16) - I enjoyed the story of this game quite a bit and how it ended. I also think that this is the best incarnation of the Scarecrow that I've ever seen. I like his creepy design and his grand scheme to get rid of Batman.
    Prime likes this.
  15. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

07. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (PS4, Jan 25th)
    After finishing Dying Light with my friend, Paul (@monkeycop) we decided to jump in on Gauntlet: Slayer Edition. We just beat the final boss on normal difficulty and then went 20 floors deep on the endless mode. Very fun!
  16. RayG

0003 - Metal Slug X - 20th January - PC STEAM - Sillyfun
    0004 - Void and Meddler - 28th January -PC DRMFREE - Just finished Act 1! This was pretty good! As strange and bizarre as it is gorgeous, it presents a cyberpunk world that's actually bleak in the most amazing way. It does have some problems in terms of gameplay though: moon logic puzzles, pixel hunting and it's never really clear what you have to do or why. But! If you are a fan of Point and Click Adventure games and willing to over look that (or you don't mind using a walk though!) then I absolutely recommend playing this! And the music is great.

Oh OK, one more!

0005 - Cibele - 29th January - PC DRMFREE - Yes, play this.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  17. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

08. Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystara (Steam, Jan 31st)
    Finished the Tower of Doom with RayG as a warmup to the real thing!!! Next time, Mystara proper!
  18. RayG

0003 - Metal Slug X - 20th January - PC STEAM - Sillyfun
    0004 - Void and Meddler - 28th January -PC DRMFREE - Messed up and pretty
    0005 - Cibele - 29th January - PC DRMFREE - Intimate

0006 - Dungeons and Dragons Chronicles of Mystara(Tower of DOOM) - 31st January - PC STEAM - Good Golden Axe style gameplay with a ton of cool extras! We killed a lich king :)
  19. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

06. The Talos Principle (Steam, 2016/02/03, 14.5 hours)

Brain teaser on every level, the 1st person puzzles reminded me of Portal in the sense of difficulty balance, "testing" vibe and "making you feel smart" gratification. The game's locations all the birth places of human philosophy and progressive thinking, the perfect match for a story revolving around emerging AI that is trying to find its purpose, reason for existence, what it means to be a person and impugning of unjustified authority.
  20. Fivespot

Fivespot ABOG Podcast

I'll get in on this just to embarrass myself at the end of the year with the shortest list included.

1) Rise of the Tomb Raider (XBOX One)
    2) Halo 5: Guardians (XBOX One)
    3) Rise of the Tomb Raider - Baba Yaga dlc (XBOX One)