Game Completion Thread 2016!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anim8td_fan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

34. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 / Sega Classics (Steam, 2016/07/31, 1.8 hours)

Now we're talking, such a step up from its predecessor: nicer level design, way better flow and pacing. They also improved the animation and sprite work a lot. The level introduction screens are so 90s, it's beautiful. Just a joy to look at and to play.
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  2. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

22- Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

35. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 / Sega Classics (Steam, 2016/07/31, 2 hours)

Nice refined follow up to Sonic 2, new gameplay elements and power ups. I ran a couple of times into the 10 minutes limit, seems like the stages were extended too. Props for the technical feats in this game, so many amazing effects and so much eye candy. The devs were probably at the limit of what's possible with the given hardware. One negative point: in hindsight it's pretty telling how anti-climatic the final boss fight was, like something was held back for a later release. Not to start any console wars, but while Super Mario World is the better game, Sonic is just cooler.
    Prime likes this.
  4. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Wasn't sure I should list these separately, but these games are surprisingly substantial, so now I'm listing one from earlier as well

16. Super! Clew Land Complete (part of Retro Game Crunch, a couple months ago, Steam)
    An interesting platform game. You start with a character who can just crawl around, and when eating creatures he evolves different ways of moving. Jumping, swimming, boosting, flying. Each time you can access more of the world. Fairly large world to explore, and a boss fight that is rather challenging. I got at least 2 or 3 hours out of finishing this one.

17. End of Line (part of Retro Game Crunch, 8/1/16, Steam)
    This is a rather interesting puzzle game, very reminiscent of early NES game like Lolo. Except instead of exitting the level, the point is to kill yourself. The problem is, there are also bots in the level that will revive you. So you have to figure out how to take out the bots, and make sure to leave a way to still take yourself out. Very cool. About 40 or so levels over 5 worlds. Took about an hour and a half to complete.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  5. teran36

23- Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

had a few bugs in the character movement which really brings the game down.
  6. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

18. You Have 10 Seconds (8/4/16, Steam)

A free fast paced platformer with about 40 levels. Seems super easy to finish each level in 10 seconds to start, but then can get a little frustrating (mostly just the underwater jumping). But all in all, a decent challenge and a good way to spend a half hour.
    Prime likes this.
  7. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Lock-on Update:* 35. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles / Sega Classics (Steam, 2016/08/04, 3.8 hours)

Nice refined follow up to Sonic 2, new gameplay elements and power ups. I ran a couple of times into the 10 minutes limit, seems like the stages were extended too. Props for the technical feats in this game, so many amazing effects and so much eye candy. The devs were probably at the limit of what's possible with the given hardware. One negative point: in hindsight it's pretty telling how anti-climatic the final boss fight was, like something was held back for a later release. Not to start any console wars, but while Super Mario World is the better game, Sonic is just cooler. The "& Knuckles" lock-on definitely elevated Sonic 3 from the previous games, more stages, more story, more fun. The combo of these two is the ultimate 16bit Sonic experience.

*(See what I did there? Lock-on update? HA! My edgy 90s attitude made this happen, so rad, dude!)

36. Koi-Koi Japan [Hanafuda playing cards] (Steam, 2016/08/05, 4.3 hours)

I'm a big fan of the anime movie "Summer Wars", the big climax of the movie is a card game of Hanafuda. Never played said game and then I saw Koi-Koi Japan [Hanafuda playing cards] on Steam. Instant pick up! It's awesome! Super beginner friendly with a quick and easy tutorial. I've managed to learn the basics in like 10 minutes. The card counting would require more memorization in real life, but the game handles the counting and makes things very accessible. Really lovely presentation of traditional Japanese music and art with small anime accents. It all looks cute and cuddly, but runs way deep: lots of strategy, baiting, risk and reward. Hanafuda feels like a wild mix of mahjong, poker, baseball and nuclear warfare. Crushing your opponents is very satisfying. Great little time waster, relaxing and each game lasts only like 15 minutes.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

37. Parallax (Steam, 2016/08/06, 5.6 hours)

Parallax is a first person multidimensional puzzle platformer! It looks kinda like Antichamber, but the puzzles actually make sense. It's nothing but logic, no lateral thinking required. Each level got a goal to reach, but getting there is the tricky bit. The player needs to clear the way by rearranging platforms, switching portals and navigating obstetrical courses. Sounds easy enough, but Parallax adds another element to the mix: each level got a second dimension and solutions require multidimensional traversal, interaction and thinking. I had a couple of moments, when I had a basic idea of what to do, but my brain only had a subconscious understanding of the big picture. Yet I, competently, dream walked though the puzzle without really knowing exactly how. The whole game is super tiny, install size around 60MB. Runs ultra smooth and is super easy on the eyes (if you change to a less contrast heavy color scheme).
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

38. Zenzizenzic (Steam, 2016/08/13, 4.3 hours)

Interesting take on the twinstick shooter genre. The controls are extended by acceleration and deceleration of your "shooting box thingy", shields can be exploded to cancel incoming bullets, two special weapons can be triggered after being charged with killed enemy droppings. Lots of things to juggle while dodging bullet hell patterns and even homing hostile fire. The twinstick shooter part isn't the biggest challenge, applying the gameplay toolkit correctly to control the chaos is key to beating Zenzizenzic's 5 levels. Normal, the lowest difficulty setting, is very manageable in the first three stages and things get real in the last two stages. The game gets insanely hard towards the end, but one can trade in score for extra life. Getting enough score is the catch though. Mere 0.8% of players on Steam got the achievement for clearing the last level on the lowest difficulty setting! Great gameplay, presentation and soundtrack; only the UI and horrible controller assignment via the Unity launcher could have used way more polish.
  10. teran36

24- Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force
  11. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

39. Ratchet & Clank (PS4, 2016/08/14, ~8 hours)

Excellent reboot, they changed enough to keep me in a constant state of déjà vu: great mix of old and new. The gameplay was fun as ever, mayhem and bolts everywhere. The presentation got a nice boost by the more capable PS4, so lush. 30 fps is a bummer "on paper", but the almost perfect frame pacing still makes everything super smooth. I had preferred better anti-aliasing to match the otherwise almost CGI like quality of the visuals. Oh well, maybe we'll get that for the next reboot on PS6.
  12. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

29. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (PC/Steam, August 10th) - I forgot to write this up sooner, apologies! But my goodness, what an amazing game - cyberpunk meets high fantasy in a glorious blend of storytelling and turn-based XCOM style strategy. The story is better than the combat, but the stats in the game all have uses and meaning within the context of the story. High charisma stat is definitely the way to go though, talking your way through the situations not only adds to the depth of the game, but also unlocks parts of the story you'd otherwise not see! Brilliant!
  13. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

40. Handsome Mr. Frog (Steam, 2016/08/16, 3 hours)

It's like someone unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom: Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. Pure arcade fun in form of a single screen platformer driven by score and hat chasing. You ARE Handsome Mr. Frog, an adorable amphibian with impeccable style and a fable for hats. You tongue-fetch foes into your chubby cheeks, then spit them as projectiles against their cohorts, wave after wave, stage after stage, until you run out of frog life. There are random bubbles with bonus points, extra life and handsomeness boosting hats. The gameplay is super fun, chaotic with lots of random chain reactions and collateral damage. The game features wicked sprite work, which is also lovingly animated and everything is accompanied by awesome chiptunes.
  14. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

30. Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown (PC/Steam, August 17th) - Great, fun online strategy experience. If you play the game single-player it would be an okay game, but if you play it with a friend you're in for one heck of a ride. As good as the Shadowrun games are, the combat and strategy really shines better with friends. Fantastic fun! I still think Dragonfall is an overall better game, but in terms of the actual strategy, this game takes it simply for the fun you can have with friends!
  15. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

0018 - Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown - PC STEAM - Yes! Fun with friends! Online! So, yeah, this was never going to compare to Dragonfall but as a Co-op game, stratagizing on the fly with friends, it was pretty good! ;) Anyway, still have the infected DLC to do, so the adventures of a Haste Addicted Mechman and an out of time, victorian, streetmage will continue!
    Prime likes this.
  16. teran36

25- Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma

A little creepy and weird at times, but still lots of fun
    Prime likes this.
  17. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

41. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine / Sega Classics (Steam, 2016/08/26, 2.5 hours)

It's still weird to play this re-branded Puyo Puyo game, but at least Carbuncle survived the makeover. I prefer the Puyo Puyo characters and story, but the Robotnik spin isn't bad and the end sequences are still very awesome.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  18. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

42. Grow Up (Steam, 2016/08/28, 7.4 hours)

I love Grow Home, but Grow Up is on a whole different level, almost makes its predecessor feel like a prototype or proof of concept! It's a poster child of a sequel. The playground got extended to a whole planet and periphery. I'd guess 4-6 times the size of the original game. Yet the new tool kit makes it so much easier to get around. Useful plant life can be DNA scanned and replicated at will and allows for even more playful high jinks. They've upgraded the engine from Unity 4 to 5 and took advantage of a few more expensive rendering techniques, so it's unfortunately a bit more taxing the hardware. This bummed me out at the beginning, but as soon as the world opened up it was more understandable. Zipping around the planet seamlessly with the given level of detail and even with additions of player created plant life is pretty impressive after all. I had a blast mainlining the story and will be back for some clean up.
  19. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

43. RefleX (Steam, 2016/08/30, 7.7 hours)

This doujin SHMUP is the second game in The Tale of ALLTYNEX trilogy. There are moments of bullet hell, but dodging isn't the main key to survival. The player can trigger a shield to absorb bullets, but also deflect blues ones and turn them against the enemy. This technique is a mix of skill and risk/reward. Deflected bullets do way more damage and can end bosses rapidly. The shield isn't unlimited and drains energy, even impacts the shooting power and spread when completely drained. The combination of shooting, deflecting, dodging and shield management makes RefleX a lot of fun and interesting. Rock solid presentation with nice sprite work, tons of Saturn like 2D scaling and parallax effects. The game isn't easy, but never unfair. It will make you work and the progression of gaining skills is very rewarding and satisfying.
  20. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

31. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4 September 1st) - A really good game let down by its length. The main campaign didn't seem like it would have lasted very long without the levelling up and padding that side missions gave it. The story was great and I had a lot of fun while it lasted, it just didn't last as long as I expected it would.

Lots of girth, but not very long - the video game equivalent of a chode.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Boric likes this.