Game Completion Thread 2016!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Anim8td_fan, Jan 6, 2016.

1. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

0019 - The House Abandon - PC DRMREE - "A nostalgic horror adventure, a game within a game." That's what they said. What they didn't say was that it's BRILLIANT!! I wont give the game away, but it's pretty short and free, and well worth you're time if you like horror games!
    Prime likes this.
  2. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

32: Grand Theft Auto V (PS4 September 4th) - I finally managed to get all the way through the campaign. Every other time I played this, I lost interest for one reason or another... It felt good to finally, after all these years see the game through to the very end. Trevor, is by far the most interesting and humorous character, even though he is a complete nutcase. The cast done a great job bringing the characters to life, even the side characters in the strangers and freaks category. A bang-up job. Excellent game!

EDIT: The credits are STILL running - damn these "Big Budget" games - I can't imagine the amount of money spent on this. o_O
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

It was a sound investment, not just in terms of being awesome. AFAIR there were reports earlier this year, that GTAV sold more than 60 million copies. Insane numbers! GTA4, for reference, "only" managed 25M.
  4. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I wasn't really meaning that it wasn't sound or profitable, the credits ran for like, 30 minutes...

That's a lot of staff and subsidiaries for ONE game. I'm aware that some names may have appeared more than once, like Lazlow - but still... around 30 minutes of credits... whaaaa? I also felt bad for the guy who had to type all that out.
  5. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

26- Risen 3(ps4)
    Prime likes this.
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

44. Steredenn (Steam, 2016/09/08, 26 hours)

I got roped in by the stunning sprite work, animation, thrashing metal soundtrack and stayed for a ball busting roguelike bullet hell SHMUP with permadeath. It's one of those games, that will make you work for every inch of progress, but once you learned its ways, everything snaps into place. Weapon drops are random, so are power ups, enemy waves are procedurally generated and so you never know how each run will turn out. The only constant is the bosses and their behavior. The bosses are finely tuned and allow very few mistakes. Thankfully the player can train for specific bosses from the main menu's arena mode. Your ship can only take a certain amount of hits, there aren't health drops within the level, only after each boss the health gets fully restocked. This results in lots of nerve wrecking drama and close calls. Steredenn is insanely polished and balanced. The game is never unfair, but odds can end up not being in the players favor. There were plenty of soul crushing runs, but Steredenn is so much fun that I always ended up coming back for more (punishment).
    Prime likes this.
  7. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

19. Freja and the Sequel (9/8/16, Android)

A very strange, but pretty decent point and click (tap?) adventure game. The story is whacked out and confusing, but oddly charming as well. Got an hour or two out of it.
    Prime likes this.
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

45. Killzone: Mercenary (PSV, 2016/09/12, little less than 2 battery charges)

They somehow managed to squeeze a pretty complete first person shooter into the Vita. I'm impressed how little got lost in translation. The campaign was a lot of fun. Good weapon and gadget variety kept things interesting. The story and premise did a decent job showing another facet of the Killzone universe. Overall I only disliked the gimmicky screen wiping gestures, they were not asked for.
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

46. Tengami (Steam, 2016/09/12, 1.4 hours)

Beautiful point'n'click puzzle adventure in the world of japanese origami and pop-out books, I've enjoyed while it lasted. The art direction and music are very ethnic and traditional. The game itself moves deliberately slow and might drive inpatient ones up the wall. I enjoyed the slow, relaxing and soothing experience. It made recovering from a cold a little more bearable.
  10. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

47. Spelunky HD (PS4, 2016/09/13, 4 hours)

Went to hell and back again, but this time on PS4. Haven't played this timeless classic in a while, but the rust came off pretty quickly. Spelunky is still the best roguelike platformer and truly a timeless classic.
    Prime likes this.
  11. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Ah spelunky - I've still not managed to complete it yet... in fact I don't think I've even been past the ice caves... amazing game tho!
    Boric likes this.
  12. teran36

27- Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel(Nightmare,Platinum)

Okay I am now ready to crack the seal on part 2.
    Prime likes this.
  13. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

48. Deathsmiles (Steam, 2016/09/20, 5 hours)

My least favorite CAVE game: that said, it's still a wicked bullet hell SHMUP. The gameplay is very polished and balanced. Lots of variety in form of selectable characters with different trades, many modes and remixes (black label, ver1.1, arcade, normal, etc). The difficulty scales very nicely, fun to be had by beginners and masters. I've cleared all modes, checked out most endings and yet never fully warmed up to Deathsmiles. I should love this game on paper, not sure why it never fully clicked with me.
    Prime likes this.
  14. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

49. Tricky Tower (PS4, 2016/09/25, 6 hours)

It's pretty much Tetris with physics. I've beaten all 50 single player trials and ended up hating myself for it. The first 30 are fun, but then the horror begins. Lots of cheap annoyances, to inflate the difficulty, spoil the fun quickly. The game manages to stack bullshit so masterful that even the most skilled player isn't able to recover in most cases. There isn't an instant retry button and this game could use one. Beating the game requires more patience and luck than anything. Really a shame since the core gameplay is really good.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  15. teran36

28- Atelier Sophie: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Book
    Prime likes this.
  16. teran36

29- Legend of Heroes Trails of Cold Steel 2

Great game, didn't wrap up everything, in fact left more questions than answers.
    Sure hope part 3 makes it's way over here
  17. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

How was the game?
  18. teran36

Not bad, no time limits.
    characters are good, if you like other Atelier games you will like Sophie.
    Battle system is same turn based, but the leveling is done a little differently.
    I'm one trophy away from a plat. but that trophy is for beating an impossible boss.
    I've seen it on sale for $25 in different places, it's worth it
    ChryZ likes this.
  19. teran36

30- Gone home

I don't understand.
    I didn't have fun at all.
    Ho-Hum all the way through(at least it was very short)
  20. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

50. Uncharted 4 (PS4, 2016/10/09, 18h35m44s)

This game is the poster child of a console exclusive. The production value is off the chart. There are very few games on this level and yet everything seems so effortless: stunning lush interiors and exteriors over-saturated with detail, incredible mo-cap, story telling baked right into the flow of the action, animation that blends super smoothly without getting in the way of playability. That's not even all of it. Uncharted 4 is also a technical show piece for the PS4 in terms of geometry complexity, global illumination, lighting, picture quality and textures. Its 30 fps sport close to flawless frame-pacing and is aided by the right amount of motion blur. Lovable characters, fantastic story and solid "comfort food" gameplay close the deal. I enjoyed this brilliant experience immensely.