Game Completion Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Boric, Jan 1, 2017.

1. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

7- Tales of Berseria

good installment in the series
  2. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

05. Lume (Steam, 2017/02/19, 1.5 hours)

This little point'n'click puzzle adventure didn't aged well: build in flash, weak story (more like a prelude), some puzzles too easy, some way too devious. Lume is definitely not worth its MSRP of 5.99 coins. It seems to be the dev's first commercial game, but knowing State of Play Games from their follow up title KAMI, it's kinda neat to witness their growth and improvement as creators. Lumino City, their third title, should be even better.
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

06. Lumino City (Steam, 2017/02/25, 4.7 hours)

Yeah, this sequel to Lume is a major step up. It's still a flash game, but that's where the similarities end. Presentation, puzzles, story progression, music, everything makes the prequel look like a rough prototype. The story was a little bit self serving, but definitely serviceable enough to glue the series of enjoyable puzzles together. Outstanding presentation, the whole world looks like handcrafted and filmed with lots of photography artifacts like bokeh out-of-focus areas, depth of field transitions and some lens flare. Nothing is real time 3D and everything is prerecorded. The whole scene interaction is on rails and can result in awkward moments when your character snaps to an unwanted trajectory. I've enjoyed my time with Lumino City, although it's a little bit forgettable overall.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

07. Peggle Deluxe (Steam, 2017/02/26, 3.9 hours)

Pachinko on LSD and steroids, so much fun to be had. The best 99 cents I've ever spent.
  5. teran36

8- Rise of the Tomb Raider

Really good
    And for trophy hunters ps4 version has 125 of them
  6. teran36

9- Fate/Extella the Umbral Star
  7. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

08. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Steam, 2017/03/07, in-game clock 6.66 hours)

Platinum's latest character action game Nier: Automata reminded me, that I've never played MGR:R. Not sure what quality to expect from the PC port of Nier, I've looked into Revengeance ... two birds, one stone. Bloody hell (literally), MGR:R surprised me in many ways: so much gore, its story isn't taking prisoners (literally), technically brilliant in terms of presentation and gameplay. The whole experience is such a power fantasy, delightful, start to finish: cyborg ninjas, third person sword fights with fighting game controls, big variety of enemies, gigantic bosses, slicing and dicing. My only complaint is how the game is telling you close to nothing about its mechanics. Parry for example, it was "explained" with a 5 seconds button prompt and a brief audio remark. I played half the game without parry and eventually hit a brickwall, when a boss required it. Luckily a bunch of youtube videos filled that information void and provided guidance. Nevertheless, it's a wicked game. Such a shame that Konami's mismanagement negates any chance for a sequel. The PC port of MGR:R is close to flawless, rock solid 60 fps, perfect frame pacing, impeccable image quality with 8xSGSSAA and HBAO+ via the driver. Resolution is capped at 1080p max, but an overwrite mod tool is available for up to 4K.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

09. Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo (Steam, 2017/03/09, 1 hour)

grep "Super Galaxy Squadron" games201*
    games2015.txt:60. Super Galaxy Squadron (Steam, 2015/10/10, 8.2 hours)
    games2016.txt:10. Super Galaxy Squadron EX (Steam, 2016/02/21, 6 hours)
    games2017.txt:09. Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo (Steam, 2017/03/10, 1 hour)

Third free update and this SHMUP keeps getting better and better: three new and very unique ships, new boss rush mode, slo-mo feature for bullet time. The core level design, bosses and waves were not massively changed. It still got the same awesome soundtrack. The story cut-scenes got a little bit improved. The accessibility got tweak with an additional checkpoint in-between the last two boss phases; the slo-mo feature helps rookies not to get overwhelmed or offsets the slow speed of certain ships. I've already liked Super Galaxy Squadron, but the new polish really made it extra turbo wicked.

I'm mean, look at it go:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

10. Fire Arrow Plus (Steam, 2017/03/12, 0.4 hours)

I actually had to google, if this was a 90s arcade SHMUP that I missed. It wasn't, but this game completely nails the look and feel. The gameplay isn't bullet hell and more traditional early 90s shoot'em up style: big sprites, lots of 2D scaling FX and fast pacing. The focus is scoring in a limited amount of time. One could call this time attack, but it's more like a survival mode. The 3 minutes mode is doable, but 5 minutes is a challenge. Fire Arrow sports excellent sprite work, banging chiptune soundtrack and even a tate display option. Wicked arcade fun, which I will definitely revisit.

10. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

11. Super Star Path (Steam, 2017/03/14, 3.2 hours)

This game managed to mash match3+ puzzles, roguelike and euro SHMUP together. Each of the six levels starts off with a star path blocked by aliens and hazards. The player needs to clear the path in order to get a shot at the boss. Clearing the path is the puzzle element of the game. Shooting groups of same colored aliens will turn them into gems, but neighboring aliens of different color will crystallize into roadblocks. Picking targets is crucial or you'll quickly paint yourself in a corner. Collected gems pay for new ships with different perks. The roguelike element comes from power-up drops scattered throughout the levels. They allow to permanently upgrade your favorite ships. The SHMUP gameplay is split into very surgical precision work in the puzzle stage of each level, followed by a fast paced boss battle with lots of dodging, survival panic, wild spraying and praying. I really enjoyed this neat little gem, lovely combination of genres with fine sprite work, voice acting and soundtrack.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  11. teran36

10- Root Letter

Great visual novel, if anybody wants to try one
  12. teran36

11- Yakuza 0

GOTY!!!
    90 hrs of gameplay, about 75 of them was me wondering around sidequesting and mini-games
  13. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

12. REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR (Steam, 2017/03/19, 3.7 hours)

Intergalactic SHMUPreciation month continues in full force. REVOLVER360 is a pretty basic STG at its core, but with one game changing twist: the player can rotate the playing field. This allows to "flatten" impossible bullet curtains, therefore makes dodging easier. There's a catch though, rotating the scene can keep perils out of perspective. Scanning the surrounding while dodging while shooting can often lead to frantic juggling of priorities in a "patting your head and rubbing your belly" sorta way. It all results in interesting and unique gameplay. There are only three full stages and a fourth final boss stage, as brief as it sounds, a complete play through takes less than 25 minutes. The stages branch and exploring the different routes extended the replay value. The challenge mode with its mini missions is another way to squeeze more playtime out of this fun SHMUP. REVOLVER360 is a stunner, completely 3D, highly stylized, tons of particle FX and it runs like greased lightning. The art direction is like the green bits of the Matrix, just in blue. The visuals and the soundtrack are all very striking.

14. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

13. Rayman Legends (PS4, 2017/03/26, ~16 hours)

Late to the party, but what a party it is. Definitely one of the best platformers I've ever played: tight controls, amazing animation, stellar artwork, wicked soundtrack and tons of content. On top, all levels from Origins (previous game) are also included. It seems the PS4 is the only release with uncompressed assets, as presumed by Digital Foundry. I've pixel peeped a little and there are really no compression artifacts in sight. The whole experience is pure bliss in terms of gameplay, presentation and technical back-end. Big ups for the humor on display, Legends cracked me up so many times. This is truly a timeless classic!
  15. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

14. RIVE (Steam, 2017/03/28, 4.6 hours)

Two Tribes' swan song and way to end on a high note, because RIVE is all shades of awesome: 360 degree shooting with tons of platforming. The controls are super tight, the weapons pack a punch and even the double jump is super satisfying. The whole presentation is 2D and very high impact, particle effects, sparks, animated background elements, out of focus parallax scrolling, screen shake, the list doesn't end. It's just a joy to tear the place up. There's even a nice little story driving all the mayhem, plenty of puntastic humor and jokes to ease the tension in-between peak-focus action chaos. It's really a shame, that Two Tribes decided to cease game development.

16. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer