Listener Game of the Year!

Discussion in 'Interactive Distractions' started by Goffey, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Goffey

Goffey Interactive Distractions

Hey everyone, it's that time of year again

We're recording our listener game of the year show this coming Friday night. So if you want to submit your vote for GoTY you can do so at email@interactivedistractions.com or post in this thread.

Just post your top 3-5 games of the year in order and give a brief reason why it's on your list. As per usual we will make some sort of dumb scoring system and at the end of the feature we will have an official InDis Listener GoTY!

Thanks everyone!
  2. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

5) Destiny (PS4) - Say what you will about its lack of content and grindy nature, but the moment to moment gameplay of Destiny is one of the most sublime examples of the FPS genre done right!

4) Guilty Gear Xrd (PS4) - After the long wait, it would be a lie to say I'm slightly disappointed with how barebones this game is, but it more than makes up for that in being an excellent technical fighter with amazing soundtrack)

3) Alien Isolation (PS4) - From start to finish, I loved the game's art direction. There were a few problems with the cutscenes and had a couple of isolated "retry, fail, retry" moments, but overall, a brilliant survival horror experience.

2) The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (PC/PS4) - Fantastic, fun game full of near infinite replay value. Loved the original and the expanded version is even better! (except the soundtrack)

1) Bionic Commando (2009) (PC/PS3) - Best game ever made, I play it at least once a year so that it's always my GotY.
  3. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

Narrowing it down to only games from 2014 that I completed (not in any particular order):

1) JAZZPUNK (PC) - I love silly and it doesn't come much sillier than this! I especially like how it's a legit cyberpunk story despite the ridiculous nature of what's going on. Which includes stealing a' particularly valuable artificial kidney'.

2) Never Alone (PC) - I'm constantly looking for co-op games to play with my nephew and this one is pretty much perfect in that regard. It's magical, important for what it represents and really makes me want an artic fox!

3) Dominique Pamplemousse in "It’s All Over Once The Fat Lady Sings!" (PC) - It's the fact that games like this exist that make me glad I play games at all. I mean come on, it's a stop motion detective point and click adventure game about gender and the economy... where they sing!
  4. Gruel

Gruel Hulkamaniac

Unfortunately, I have only really invested serious time into five games that came out in 2014 so this is how I will rank them...

5) New 2014 DLC for Pinball Arcade/Zen Pinball 2
    Got to feed the obsession. Standout tables this year for me were Dr. Strange and Butters on Zen Pinball 2 and Black Knight 2000 for Pinball Arcade, if only for its amazing soundtrack.

4) Trials Fusion
    "Welcome to the future..." Trials does not disappoint with another catchy opening theme and addicting gameplay, too bad it shipped with no multiplayer as I played a good chunk of Trials multiplayer in Evolution. I keep forgetting to check to see if they added it in yet.

3) Jetpack Joyride Deluxe

This is a guilty pleasure of mine, great way to start off a gaming marathon with, or if I only have five or ten minutes to spare this is perfect.

2) Valiant Hearts
    I love me some history, and Valiant Hearts is a great take on World War I when barely any other games have tackled that war. Some of the puzzles were a little tedious, but I loved the story, art style and the history collectibles to catch me up on WWI facts.

1) South Park: Stick of Truth
    My brother is a hardcore fan of the show and dropped this off at my place one day and said do not give it back until I beat it so I felt obligated to play it and had a blast with it. I only catch a few episodes a season that are getting good buzz, but I still got a lot out of this game filled with tons of references and callback to many episodes. So many great moments and levels in this game, and I loved how the story played out.

Best non-2014 games of 2014 - Mass Effect 2 & 3
    These two games were what I primarily played for first half of the year. I was only about a third of the way through Mass Effect two from a save from two or three years back, but got the urge again after finishing the third and fourth ME novels at the beginning of the year to inspire me to finally plow through the last two games along with all their DLC. Loved them both, and I will slightly give the nod to ME2 as it felt a little more polished and a complete package. I played way too much of the coop multiplayer on ME3 as me and a coworker got addicted to it. I heard a lot of complaints from podcasts about the ME3 story, but I had no qualms with how it played out, but I went in with all the DLC installed so I am guessing that helped filled a few more gaps and I loved the Omega and Citadel DLCs the most.