Mum Passed Away

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Prime, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Hey guys, I know this is quite a disheartening situation and I don't know what else to do other than let you all know my mum has passed away in hospital at 12:30pm today in Victoria Hospital, Kirkcaldy. I tell you this because you guys aside from a select few in real life are my closest friends and consider you a second family.

She was always a very ill woman, starting off with having an artificial heart valve in her body, that has been degrading over time. She was given around 3 years when she first had it put in before we even knew her, she lived for another 30+ years. She was a very strong woman from Missouri, she had a miscarriage at 16 and from then on her life had been extremely difficult. She lost her first husband to cancer and then later met my dad online (who, ironically has prostate cancer as well now). They got to know each other and about 12 years ago she managed to fly over here to Scotland and spend her last years here with us.

for around half of these years, I am ashamed to say me and her didn't get along well. But for the past 6 years or so we grew close and I finally accepted her as my "mum". My dad is obviously devastated, I haven't heard anguish like this from him... ever. I've never witnessed him this distraught and in so much pain.

To let you all understand, she went into hospital last Monday because of respiratory problems caused by fluid retention around her heart. By Thursday morning she had kidney and liver failure caused by lack of ample blood flow around her body, and her bowel had expanded in her stomach, causing further fluid build up. The doctors only suggestion was to operate on the bowel but due to the damage of her other organs and her heart, she wouldn't survive surgery like this. We had no other options but to wait her last days out. The doctors estimated around 24-48 hours and they were spot on. She died earlier today.

I appreciate some of your well-wishes on twitter, and thanks for being there as more than just text on a screen but family I can speak to in both the good times and the bad. It'll take a while for us to adjust to life without her, but I'm assured through Christ as my and my families savior that she is at peace and definitely in a better place right now. Not as a comforting tale to tell children in the face of sorrow and mourning, but a fact I can be absolutely certain of. Because if it isn't true, life has no worth to live.

If any of you are Christians and feel like praying peace for us and the rest of her family over in the states please by all means feel free to do so.

Thanks again guys, and I'll see you around.

~Darren "Prime" Speed
  2. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

I'm deeply sorry for your lose Prime and you have my sincerest condolences.
  3. Shino

Shino Mr. InDis?

Prime, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    You and your Dad are in my thoughts.
    Hang in there. You and your Dad will get through this with each others support.
  4. Aggie_CEO

Aggie_CEO Bronze - Active

I have you and your family in my prayers man
  5. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Thanks for the well-wishes guys... This thread wasn't intended for sympathy or anything, it was just to let you all know where I was at and what was happening with me and my family recently since I consider you guys close friends/family too.

We're going into the hospital later on today to pick up her belongings and death certificate. We have a funeral to plan as well - probably nothing big, but planning something like this won't be easy for my dad, but I'll help him in any way I possibly can.

Thanks again guys and I should be around more often again soonish.

~Prime
  6. Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

Prime (Darren), I am so very sorry for your loss. I'm glad that you were able to get close to her for the last 6 years of her life. I'm sure that was a very special time for both of you. Sorry your dad is heartbroken through the loss. It's a testament to how much he must have loved her. Thank you for trusting us enough to share something so personal and close to your heart. Thoughts and prayers go with you, my friend. I hope peace washes over your family very soon.
  7. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

I'm so sorry for your loss Prime. You and your family are in my thoughts.
  8. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Hey guys, just a quick update. We've been in touch with a funeral director and he's given us a quote for approximately £2,800 which is funeral costs for their least expensive cremation. We're trying our hardest to get some governmental funding for this, because we cannot afford this kind of money at all. My dad's retired and disabled and I'm his full-time carer, so there's next to no money coming in for us. Apparently, the government also won't cover 100% of this fee, and we don't know how much they will cover...

My dad's very worried about all this, so if any of you out there are Christians could pray for peace for him that would be good.

Thanks again for the well-wishes guys, we'll try to get through this as best as we can.

~Darren
  9. BAD76

BAD76 Bronze Member

I'm sorry for your loss I know what you're going through because my dad passed away in May on my mother's birthday he was 85 yrs old. But my mom has alzheimer's & it's not doing me any good becuz she keeps thinking my dad is alive. So I'm sorry for what you're going through & wish you all good wishes for you & your family
    Prime likes this.