Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Shino, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Shino

Shino Mr. InDis?

What did you guys think of the trailer?

I know there's a bit of unhappiness with the "Broad Saber" but I'm with Colbert on that one:

Also... this:

I'm excited!
  2. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I'll skip the first version and wait for this one:

Boric likes this.
  3. Shino

Shino Mr. InDis?

Hahahaha! Awesome!
  4. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

I'm pretty hyped! I do love that the teaser is actually a teaser so far.
  5. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

Trailers are always well constrcuted lies ;)
    Prime likes this.
  6. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

The problem is that it wasn't even well constructed... it showed nothing. And people are hyped? Over nothing?
  7. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I like the first teaser, it made me instantly re-watch the original trilogy. The despecialized ones, so yeah the "Lucas' Edit" of the new teaser made me laugh extra hard.

The internet is having a field day already

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

It's not a trailer.

I can't speak for each and every Star Wars fan, that said: I grew up with ep4-6, wanted more badly, ep1-3 came along and almost ruined the whole Star Wars thing for me. Fast forward a couple of years and J.J. Abrams managed to make Star Trek cool again, Lucas stepped down, J.J. took over and the first teaser had no Jar Jar Binks in it. Am I hyped, donno? Causley optimistic, maybe? But it sure is "a new hope".

[​IMG]
    saskbob likes this.
  9. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Preach!
  10. Shino

Shino Mr. InDis?

It's a teaser... it's not supposed to show much. Just get you amped for what they are doing. It' succeeded in that... for me anyway.

My thoughts exactly. Admittedly I dislike 1-3 less than many, but hearing JJ was getting this did make me optimistic that we could get something special. Especially since I'm a Star Trek guy as well and loved what he did with it.
  11. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

It literally says trailer on the preview image and the video name.

But that's neither here nor there, the point I'm trying to make isn't that you can't be excited or optimistic for a film, just that until the film actually comes out there's no way of knowing if what we see is even all going to be in it let alone if it'll be good. See here: http://www.dorkly.com/post/70899/this-was-the-reaction-to-the-phantom-menace-trailer-debut-in-1998

Having said all of that, if John Boyega is in fact the main protagonist then I'm in!
  12. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

It would be fine if it showed anything worth the hype that it has surrounding it, but it literally showed nothing. It wasn't just "didn't show much" it showed nothing.

Dude in a desert, some weird R" unit, the millennium falcon and a 3-pronged lightsaber. You know what? I'm really ashamed to say, but I think people would be just as hyped if the teaser was 5 seconds of a lightsaber sound with no visuals other than the title of the movie.

It's disturbing.
  13. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Is it? Sometime even the smallest thing can spark excitement, it's the human mind that fills in the blanks of possibilities.

Imagine a teaser of just a single screen saying "Bionic Commando 2 by Ninja Theory, Spring 2016", the fan portion of your brain would also instantly fire on all cylinders.

We're all slaves to our desires and needs: entertainment, sex, food, etc ... the slightest chance to fulfill them will bring hope and keep us going, it's not disturbing, consuming stuff is a driving force in all life
  14. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I highly doubt that example you gave me would have me in a frothy fit of fanboy ecstatic bliss like how this trailer is for everyone else. It's just text - without playing the game, it could be a pile of garbage for all I know. Trailers are lies constructed to get you to buy things and text on a screen wouldn't get me to buy a possible Bionic Commando 2 you know I'm such a fan of the first game I would buy the sequel regardless of any trailers anyway, so it's a really bad example.

That being said though, I get what you mean. It doesn't stop it from being completely stupid though. Impulsive, selfish, blind consumption just makes content creators think they can get away with making anything they want and people will swallow it. We need to be a bit more discerning in what we decide to allow ourselves to be excited for.

And Star Wars isn't anywhere near as good as people keep saying it is anyway - So I'm finding it hard to believe people can be excited for a series that hasn't been decent since they released The Empire Strikes Back. And if you say Episode VI was good I'll kindly refer you to the annoying, cutesy Ewoks and draw a parallel line between them and Jar-Jar Binks/Anakin. At least Jake Lloyd TRIED to act. If Episode VI is good, that means Episode I through III were good.

And they weren't - Episode VI is only good in people's minds because of the "Epic Conclusion" of it all. If you look at it on a film by film basis, Episode V blows VI out of the water. You can see in episode VI that the actors weren't even bothered about delivering lines well, you could see the boredom in their faces. Lying to themselves that what they were making was amazing... Like how every viewer of Episode I lied to themselves that what they witnessed was great too. Until they went home, thought about it and cried themselves to sleep.

Then the trailer for Episode II came out and the cycle repeated itself.

Just sayin' - Don't let something so small spark so much hype in and out of yourselves if you have literally no idea how it will turn out.
  15. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Hype!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk