The Art of Comics without Comics

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Prime, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Hey guys, I know comics are quite a big thing, and it's only recently that I've become infatuated with the world of the "superhero"/"supervillain" characters that DC and Marvel make. I'm not into comics - the physical magazines of serialized stories with said characters - but I enjoy almost everything else about them.

I decided to post this thread because I want to know what you guys think of the comic book medium outside of the actual comics. Your fave moment in any of the vast array of films, animated series, or games. Doesn't have to be DC or Marvel either, anything with a comic book tone can fit into this. Best example I can think of would be the original series of Ben 10 (before the animators and writers decided not to care anymore) or even grittier more violent stuff like Judge Dredd and Sin City is fine.

So guys; Fave moment? Rivalry? Character? Game? Show? Movie? or even a comic artist's art style? The sky's the limit! Just make sure it's comics - without comics!
    Paul likes this.
  2. Paul

Paul Shrek's stunt double. Staff Member

Great thread.

I’ll try not to totally geek out on comic collecting, which I am prone to do.

When they bring these cartoons to TV or the movies to the big screen they hire experts that know these characters from the books. These guys are the real deal. They have read it all and could geek out on a level that I could only dream of.

What I love about that is that these guys find little cool stuff that only comic readers would get. An easy one is when Wolverine says, Bub. Because that is the way he addresses people in the book. That’s the kind of thing that makes a guy like me grin like a little kid on Christmas. Or when The Thing says, it’s clobbering time! I love it, because, let’s be honest, it’s almost always clobbering time.

I always thought those sayings were awesome and now they are on the big screen. I feel like looking around the theater for someone to high five when that happens.

Aside from the main guys getting their lines on the big screen I love the fact that the experts dig up every obscure villain that has ever lived and died in the comics.

This is where I break my word and I geek out on comic collecting. When these guys bring up some rare villain I run directly to the nearest search engine to find out when that villain first appeared in comics. And then I buy it. Because collectors buy “key” books an nothing makes a book more key then a first appearance.

My favorite right now.

The New Teen Titans. Robin, Raven, Cyborg, Starfire and Beast Boy. The cartoons are epic. The characters, undeniably cool.

They need their own movie.
    Prime likes this.
  3. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I 100% agree, the Teen Titans cartoon is some of the best animated DC superhero stuff - I keep telling RayG to check it out and I'm sure at some point he will, but he hasn't yet, and it's REALLY annoying :p

If I were to recommend anything for people to watch, I'd most certainly say the original Batman animated series because it has the best rendition of Bruce Wayne and Batman imo, he feels like an actual person not just some enigmatic weirdo. Teen Titans because each season has its own story arc for each of the titans, but also has an overall epic storyline! WB animated features like Flashpoint Paradox, Mask of the Phantasm and Under the Red Hood are also totally amazing.

Oh and series 1 of Ben 10. It's not DC or Marvel but hot damn, 95% of that show is freakin' incredible. Don't waste your time with the other, later series' though. Ultimate Alien, Alien Force and Omniverse are a blight on the animation industry, but the original series... WOW!

To a lesser extent, I'd also say the newest Fantastic Four cartoon - it's not amazing, but you can watch it and geek out. Johnny Storm is a complete and utter moron and JARVIS is the worst character in anything ever (at least in this portrayal) but there's quite a lot of cool things like Hulk, She-Hulk and Antman crossovers. Oh and Ronan the Accuser, one of my fave Marvel bad guys is in it a few times too :)

I used to love the 90's X-Men cartoon as well, and then I grew up and come to the realization that it was all just a bunch of stories about homophobia. I'd still love it if it wasn't so in your face about it. The 90's Spiderman still holds up fairly well though!

I could speak on this for ages, but I'll leave it at animated shows for now!