The Post-a-Recipe a Week Thread!

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by saskbob, Jan 14, 2015.

1. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Only rule is just one recipe week max from anyone person.

I think perhaps a good guideline would be to only post something you've actually made, so if anyone has questions you can help them out.

Just been so many times talking on the shoutbox with people about various things food, and then they get sort of lost, and I've forgotten to note down what someone was talking about.
    Goffey likes this.
  2. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

This one I give full credit to Chryz for, and I have made it many times. There are a lot of recipes online for it but this is the one Chryz directed me to and I don't see the reason to try anyone else's. This is also really delicious if you use it as a taco fusion thing for the meat. I think it's best to debone a fresh chicken, and I mean get rid of all the bones and skin unlike american style fried chicken.

EDIT: Actually in the video he only uses garlic but mentions using ginger. For sure use both ginger and garlic.

Goffey likes this.
  3. Goffey

Goffey Interactive Distractions

Great idea....as the shoutbox often turns into the "WTF should I eat" box

Here is a great one I did up when I had some of the dudes over for games, drinking and eating. i've never made Mac and Cheese before so this really is the only one that I tried....and it was a hit.

A few things....if you decide to make it you'll thnk the sauce is too runny or too much but once you add the pasta and put it in the oven it thickens up quite a bit.

Also next time I make it I'm going to put in some crab meat and Jalapenos....so I'll let everyone know how it went.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/ultimate_macaroni_and_cheese.php
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I can't second this hard enough, essential! Ginger and garlic are BFF, soulmates, etc.

Pro-Tip, make plenty (READ: SHIT TON) ... leftovers are god-tier even when served cold:

[​IMG]
  5. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Pandora's box was opened, deal with it, one of my most favorite recipes EVER:

Oven roasted tomato sauce with baked feta, ouzo flambéed shrimps and scallions

Tomato sauce ingredients:

- three garlic cloves
    - three shallots
    - two big cans of skinned tomatos
    - two bay leaves
    - one whole cinnamon stick
    - salt and pepper
    - 200ml excellent olive oil

Ingredients for the rest of the dish:

- 200g feta cheese
    - three to five scallions
    - two garlic cloves
    - ten fat shrimps
    - two table spoons fresh or dried thyme
    - 2cl ouzo
    - pepper

Tomato sauce directions:

Crush garlic, slice shallots. Drop tomatoes, cinnamon, crushed garlic, bay leaves into a pot and add as much/little water to cover it all. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the sliced shallots, continue to simmer for another 20 minutes but uncovered. Sauce should have thickened by now so stir occasionally or it will burn easily. Add olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and give it another 15 minutes.

Rest of the dish:

Heat oven, 180C/356F. Crumble feta, slice scallions, crush the remaining garlic and clean shrimps. Move tomato sauce to a casserole dish (remove cinnamon stick and bay leaves, if necessary) and top with crumbled feta. Roast tomato sauce and feta until the cheese starts to brown a little. In the meantime pan fry garlic, thyme, half of the chopped scallions in a splash of olive oil. Add the pan fried stuff on top of the casserole. Same pan, stir fry the shrimps in the remaining (now well seasoned) olive oil until pink, then add the ouzo and set them on fire to flambé their crustacean asses. Top the casserole content with flambéed shrimps, add a bit of pepper and roast everything for another 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining chopped scallions. Delicious on rice or with some pita bread.

Photo I took of this dish:

[​IMG]
    Trickman and Goffey like this.
  6. Goffey

Had me at Shrimp! Def going to make that in the next few weeks. Might have to do some conversion for these regarding the amounts of ingredients as we in the west don't really use grams for cooking...which is weird.
  7. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

I would just grab a cheap electronic scale. We had the same issue with my wifes english cookbooks, I don't really understand why they don't use cup measures over there.

EDIT: I guess there is a huge variability with cups of flour whether is had been sifted or not, even out of the same bag, which makes sense now why sometime when I make a dough and use the exact cup measure, sometimes it's too dry and sometimes too wet. Maybe I should use the scale more. Got to try out these recipes now.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

The 200g feta cheese just happens to be exact one package of it. We do use cup measures too, mostly when it's a good fit for the required amount and ingredient constancy, e.g. flour, sugar, rice, liquids, etc. Feta comes in a firm block, cup isn't the best measure for that.
  9. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Mediterranean Cheese Omelet - Serves 2

I make this on the regular, it's an easy recipe and is very quick to prepare and cook. I made it up myself, but I'm sure because it's using ery common ingredients a lot of people will probably have experimented with the same sort of thing.

What you'll need

utensils:
    cheese grater
    large non-stick frying pan and spatula
    vegetable cutting knife and board
    mixing bowl
    whisk or fork for whisking

ingredients:
    cooking oil of your own choice
    4 medium sized eggs
    milk (semi skimmed or full fat)
    grated cheese (mature cheddar works well)
    bell peppers, 1 green and 1 red
    chopped mushrooms and 1/2 chopped/diced small onion (optional but tasty)
    salt and pepper (optional)

How to make:
    1) crack eggs into a bowl with a dab of milk and as much or as little salt as you prefer, whisk together

2) take chopping board and knife, slice bell peppers in half and remove the cores and seeds, chop into strips for a crunchy texture or dice for a lighter texture.

3) Add as much or as little chopped/diced bell peppers as you like to the whisked eggs/milk combo. (Tastier with more!) Whisk them through the mix.

4) pre-heat large frying pan to gas mark 3 or 4 (medium heat for NA) with only enough cooking oil to wet the base of the pan.

5) throw contents of mixing bowl into the pan, let the omelet slowly cook for a few minutes and then flip it over to cook the other side (obviously, you don't want to eat raw eggs, ewwww - I've found Gas mark 3 or 4 is good because too high a temperature and the eggs will quickly burn, but too low and it'll take forever to solidify.)

6) as the second side is cooking, cover half of the top half of the omelet with grated cheese. if you want mushrooms or onions in there, now's the time to add them in too

7) make sure you're happy with how the second side has cooked then fold the omelet on half, covering the cheese and optional onions/mushrooms. Some people dislike eating raw onion, so feel free to fry them up beforehand if you prefer.

8) leave to cook for another minute or so, flipping occasionally to get both sides of the outside evenly cooked. This will give the cheese some time to melt as well!

9) Cut in half, serve with a dash of ground pepper. Toast optional!

I hope I explained how I make this clearly, it's very simple and tasty. Once you've done it a couple of times it'll taste even better and you'll get more efficient at making it. Obviously this recipe is highly dependent on your personal tastes and I've found omelets are great because you can replace pretty much anything extra like the onions and peppers with whatever you feel like having with the base eggs. Experiment - variety is the spice of life!
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  10. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Omelettes are the bomb, and a fundamental ! I just taught my 10 year old how to make them and he can pretty much do the whole thing now, except I observe when he lights the gas ring. Basically identical to your method. He only puts cheese and ham in though.

I watched recently on Tested, the way of making omelettes and the real chef who was a guest insisted you have to really whip the eggs so that it comes up super puffy. I've always disliked those omelettes.

I don't usually put the stuff in the omelette mixture itself but I think I'll try that next time, maybe some mushrooms. I would like to try a duck omelette sometime, but we don't have game markets here like they do in the UK. Probably if I lived in a city like Calgary or Edmonton I could find them.

EDIT. Actually we don't directly cook the 2nd side. We throw the ingredients into the middle and more or less let that sort of cook once we flip it together. We like it softer in the middle, so it's just a taste thing.
  11. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I used to think omelets are easy to make, then I saw the movie Tampopo ... to this day I haven't mastered the omelet blanket of omurice :'(

12. Goffey

I'm seriously making each of these. One a week most likely.

Def gunna make that omelette for breakfast Prime...maybe this weekend. Gunna crumble some feta cheese on that bitch as well!
  13. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

Jen is going to do Goff's pasta bake thing tonight. Having sausage along with it. Should be a good pairing.
  14. Goffey

Made the Kaarage yesturday and it was delicious! The first batch I had the oil WAY too hot and it burnt almost instantly....luckily it was only 4 small pieces. Just waited for the oil to cool a bit and kept track of the temp and it was fine after that.

I made about 800 grams I think so I had to kinda eyeball the ingerdients. The only thing I think I might change is how much flour/corn starch I put in. At first I thought I maybe put in too much...but the chicken..although crispy...wasn' very crispy...if you know what I mean? I did watch another video for shits and giggles and it was pretty much a similar recipe although they didn't use as much garlic or ginger....but they coated each individual piece in a flour/Starch mixture before frying..........but then...that would obviously be a lot more than what the original recipe calls for.

Overall.....we loved it!
  15. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

I think something to keep in mind is the portioning if you really want it crispy. There are some things I just do in general with chicken so I guess I neglected to say here. I usually like to "butterfly" anything I am flash frying. So if I get a leg or thigh I will slice it in such a way they the meat would lay out flat and maybe be max 1 inch at the thickest parts.

If you debone a small 2-3lb frying chicken that is no problem because you are pretty much guaranteed that no part will be thicker than that. It's more of an issue if you buy a value pack of breast or thighs with leg attached because generally those packs are from big birds.

If an am cooking or frying on the bone, I will score the meat deep down to the bone with a knife, that also accomplishes the same thing.
  16. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Let me know how you like it, man. I cook for my dad as his carer and he enjoys the omelets I make. I'm pretty good with eggs in general. French toast, bacon egg and tomatoes, boiled eggs chopped up in a mug with a little butter mixed in with toast, poached/scrambled... it's all good :p

Eggs are a good breakfast item and easy to prepare in loads of various ways. The key is chucking in other ingredients that can make even the humble egg interesting again.

~Prime
    saskbob likes this.
  17. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

CARNE ASADA

[​IMG]

This is my favorite all time meal pretty much. I usually go on a road trip down to the mexican baja every couple years and go to places where I'm usually the only gringo at the taco stand. This is THE recipe if you want it to be authentic, and it's a crime to not use charcoal. If you only have propane just get a throwaway tin roasting pan and fill it with charcoal. Jam it under the grill on your BBQ and take off the training wheels!

Best thing about this recipe is nothing here is exotic, and this is also super cheap as you can use round steaks, blade steaks etc. This is poor mans food but tastes incredible. Best paired with a sugarcane cola for authenticity.

For the other ingredients my wife usually makes fresh guacamole, chopped red onions, radishes, lettuce, salsa verde, hot sauce, jalapenos,monterey jack etc. Just don't overwhelm the meat cause that's what you are tasting. For the tortillas I prefer corn.

INGREDIENTS:
    3/4 cup orange juice
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1/3 cup lime juice
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    3 tablespoon finely chopped canned
    chipotle pepper (any hot pepper works)
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    1/2 cup olive oil
    3 pounds flank steak (any sinewy tough cut works)

DIRECTIONS:
    1.Combine the orange, lemon, and lime juice in a large glass or ceramic bowl along with the garlic, soy sauce, chipotle pepper, chili power, ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano, black pepper, and cilantro. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until marinade is well combined. Remove one cup of the marinade and place in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for use after the meat is cooked.
    2.Place the flank steak between two sheets of heavy plastic (resealable freezer bags work well) on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound the steak with the smooth side of a meat mallet to a thickness of 1/4 inch. After pounding, poke steak all over with a fork. Add the meat to the marinade in the large bowl, cover, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
    3.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
    4.Remove the steak from the marinade and grill to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Discard used marinade. Remove meat from heat and slice across the grain.
    5.Pour the one cup of reserved, unused marinade over the hot meat and serve immediately.
    ChryZ likes this.
  18. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Quick, easy, insanely delicious ...

Fusilli alla Puttanesca!

[​IMG]

Ingredients:

200 GR fusilli (7 OZ)
    400 GR whole-canned tomatoes (14 OZ, roughly chopped)
    6 TBSP olive oil
    4 TBSP freshly ground parmesan
    2 TBSP oregano
    2 TBSP tomato paste
    1 TBSP honey
    1 TBSP balsamic vingar
    9 X black olives (cored, sliced, chopped)
    6 X anchovy fillet
    3 X garlic cloves (finely minced)
    2 X dried red chili (finely chopped)
    1 X onion (minced)
    1 X red onion (roughly sliced)
    2 TSP caper (rinsed and drained)
    1 TSP freshly ground black pepper
    1 CUP pulled basil

Directions:

1. saute the minced onions in some olive oil

2. add the minced garlic and chili, staute until aromatic (do not burn the garlic!)

3. add anchovy fillets and saute for just a moment, stir to dissolve them

4. add capers, black olives and pepper, stir for another moment

5. add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste and oregano ... bring to boil, lower the heat to medium-low

6. add honey and balsamic vinegar, simmer for 10 minutes, stir every now and then

7. cook pasta, add pulled basil, red onion, some sliced black olives, sauce, mix but not too thoroughly

8. top with parmesan and basil leaves, serve immediately

Buon appetito!
    saskbob likes this.
  19. saskbob

saskbob Gold Member

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the ulimate mac and cheese. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boric likes this.
  20. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

KRAFT Macaroni & Cheese™? :p

Mind posting the recipe if not?