What are you playing? The Long Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayG, Mar 2, 2016.

1. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

long threadC2samml2.jpg

Hello, friends! Trying something new for What Are You Playing this March, A long thread! Same as before, this is your place to tell us what games you've playing, plan on playing and whether you recommend them, only now we will hopefully build a discussion and have some fun! Also, any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Enjoy!
  2. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Okay, well, I'll jump in first then:

I've been playing quite a lot this week, I started 3 Let's Play series for our YouTube channel as well as uploading daily ranked matches in Street Fighter V.

Firstly I've been playing Alien Isolation. I completed this back when it first came out, it took me a little while the first time as I was trying to review Shadow of Mordor at the time, now it'll take me 3 times as long, as I'm splitting up my playtime between this awesome horror game, as well as FarCry 4 and The Order: 1886 - I don't want to come of as soliciting viewership, but I'd really appreciate if anyone could take the time to watch any one of these series that takes their fancy as they haven't really took off as well as I'd hoped. If you do fancy a look at them though, you can check them out here www.youtube.com/c/StupidlyEpic

In terms of personal time not channel related though, I've been picking away at Just Cause 3 and decided to buy the PS4 version of Mad Max as my PC is starting to show it's age and Max runs quite sluggishly on it, unfortunately.

All of these games are great, especially Alien and Just Cause 3 - I've still to warm up to FarCry 4, but from what I hear it looks like it'll be pretty sweet. What about you guys? Played any of these? I'm kinda dreading the latter half of Alien, myself as I know what's ahead of me o_O
  3. RayG

condemned.jpg

I'm playing Condemned: Criminal Origins! Just one chapter down so far, but already the memories are coming back! I'm looking forward to the rest of the game, especially now I have a computer that actually runs it! :p Also, on the other end of the spectrum, I'm playing Jet Set Radio! It's bright and colourful, and just so much fun. Which reminds me, if you like Jet Set Radio, you may be interested in this jetsetradio.live ;)

So, what about you guys?
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, still chipping away at Yakuza 5 (part1&2 done, 27 hours in) and Ori and the Blind Forest (7 hours in, only one ability left to unlock).
  5. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Now that I've officially closed the book on Mad Max, I have no idea what to play next. I'm still doing my let's play series' on Alien: Isolation, The Order: 1886 and FarCry 4, as well as daily ranked matchups in Street Fighter V but in terms of just sitting down and playing for the fun of it all, I dunno what to do... Anyone got any suggestions? I'd much appreciate them! I'm preferring PS4 gaming at the moment, so anything on there would be fine.
  6. Randum

Randum Car Junkie

I'm tearing my way through The Division right now, but plan on revisiting The Crew after this maybe trying to finish up Twilight Princess or back to do some online racing in Forza 6. Lots of options for games!

As much as I am loving The Division, I feel like once I hit the level cap and explore all areas, I will slow down playing unless they add a little more variation on missions - the replay ability just is not very high for me right now.
    Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Decided to give Watch Dogs another shot. Glad I did, it's actually not too bad! Let you guys know more when I've played more of it :)
    Randum likes this.
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Took a small break from Yakza5 and dipped into Gravity Rush, which is so awesome: super stylized, great character designs, quirky story and really fresh gameplay. Zipping through the air while manipulating gravity is insanely fun.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Randum and Prime like this.
  9. RayG

condemded.jpg

On to the last couple of chapters of Condemned: Criminal Origins! Anyone else play this game? For those that have, I've just got to the ordinary house at the end, where I'm sure nothing bad will happen :p Oh, also installed Awesomenauts, it's fun.
    Randum and Prime like this.
  10. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Urgh, painful reminder. I have Condemned, but still haven't played it. Same goes for Murdered: Soul Suspect, so many games, so little time :(
  11. RayG

wyv and keep small.jpg
    Been playing Wyv and Keep The Temple of the Lost Idol with my nephew. It a fun co-op puzzle game (though you can play it single player too) where you move and blow up blocks and stuff. It's a fun wee game. BUT tomorrow Samarost 3 come out so I'm defo playing that! :D
    Prime likes this.
  12. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Not been in here for a wee while, updates!

Still picking away at Alien: Isolation, FarCry 4 and The Order: 1886 and enjoying all of them, one youtube episode at a time as well as uploading daily random ranked matches in Street Fighter V

on to what I've been playing in my own time -

Finished Watch Dogs - it was ALRIGHT. The gameplay was kinda fun, but the story/character just didn't make any sense. The driving was the best bit, honestly. They should patch that AR style roadmap into GTAV, I'd probably enjoy the driving a lot more in that.

Finished Just Cause 3 - it was Incredible (pretty bad slowdown on PS4, though I can't complain considering the map size and the quality/amount of effects on screen - it gets pretty crazy in there) also has that great AR style roadmap when driving from point A to B. Although with a fast travel system as well as an infinite parachute and wingsuit, driving in this game is mainly there just for people that LIKE to drive around... Not because it's strictly necessary.

Finished Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - it was brilliant. I had the game since it came out but never finished it so I started a new game and cleared it in a few days. Really enjoyed the ship battles! Without spoiling anything though, some of the story decisions didn't sit well with me and Kenway's sudden change from self-seeking cutthroat to humble and respectful Assassin was a bit underdeveloped. It happened in literally the last 2 chapters of the game. Great game overall though, loved all the little intricately woven systems in there, from ship upgrading to crafting and just all the side stuff like hunting whales and all that. Awesome!

And now I'm on to Assassin's Creed: Syndicate - the new one set in London. It's a bit weird that they've changed the controls for freerunning a bit since Black Flag (I didn't play Unity). You can see they've tried to add a bit of flexibility to the locomotion but its just sometimes a bit confusing - I'm so used to holding up+R2+the cross button for just jumping and climbing that to have it any other way adds a layer of complexity I wasn't prepared for. It looks very pretty though and love the combat system. Also, I'm one of the few people that like the sci-fi stuff in these games but it seems to be getting less and less. I liked the way they handled it in black flag in first person with the little hacking minigames... but now it just seems to be relegated to the odd cutscene... no interaction, which is a shame...

It's horrible when you buy an expensive game and for one reason or another it just gets relegated to a backlog. I'm kinda chuffed to be getting through all these lengthy experiences!
  13. Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

A slight bit of Tom Clancy's: The Division (PS4). Barely enough to say anything about it. I've gotta get in with people I know and stop trying to play it late at night when I'm wiped out.

I went through the training and a couple of regular matches with Pokken Tournament (Wii U). The play style is not like I'm used to, and seems a bit "samey." A great ton of hand holding in the game, but there are plenty of commands and options, so it's kind of necessary for beginners. But I've barely scratched the surface of it, so I can't give it a thorough evaluation either.
    Prime likes this.
  14. RayG

samarost3.jpg

Samorost 3 everybody! It's painfully beautiful!

What about you guys?
    Prime likes this.
  15. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

How long was Samorost 3? It being 19.99, that's twice the price of their last game. I played Samorost 1 and 2, both very short. Makes me wonder.

I'm back into Yakuza5, 40+ hours in, very busy becoming a j-pop idol. They really managed to capture this alien sub culture very well, it's all spot on.

Thanks to intergalactic shmuppreciation march I'm way hooked on SHMUPs again. Lots of JUDGEMENT SILVERSWORD and ESCHATOS

I've noticed Bit Blaster XL, 50% off, mere 50 cents and it sported overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam. YOINK! It's amazingly addictive: one more, one more, one more, 4 hours later, one more. Really fun and pure arcade action, it's a steal, even at its normal price.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  16. RayG

Samarost 3 is much bigger than the first 2! It's about the same size as Machinarium or Bontaicula, like 2 to 4 hours dependeding on how easy you find the puzzles and it also has extra things to find in each location after you've finished it. It cost me £14 and, to me at least, it was worth it!
    ChryZ and Prime like this.
  17. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Well, after finishing Assassin's Creed Syndicate I decided to jump back in on the mammoth Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Other than the games I play for the channel, that's all really!
  18. GRSonic

GRSonic Gotta Derp Fast!

Been playing a little bit of Street Fighter V, a bit of Zombi and a good while on Senran Kagura Estival Versus.

For that, its pretty much a Musou-game with fan-service and an okay story. I enjoyed it when I played the Japanese version for gameplay-wise back when the game was out in Japan and I enjoyed it more now that I know what they're saying. Haven't tried out the multiplayer mode, yet. Though I might give it a shot another time when I see the opportunity. At the moment, I'm just trying out the DLC-characters like the SK-characters (Ayame, Naraku and Kagura) and a guest appearance in form of Dead or Alive's Ayane.

When it comes to Zombi, I haven't played much of it. So I really can't say much of it other than its look interesting. That and it was free as part of the PS+ offerings this month.
  19. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

Finally getting a chance to play Yakuza 5.
    So far it's just as fun as I had hoped.
  20. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I've managed to reach Nagoya in Yakuza 5, unfortunately I really don't like the character of that story arc and the baseball theme. Everything has been awesome so far, but this part I really have to force myself to go on. Oh well, I shall endure.

I leaned heavily into DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours, which is all kinds of wicked. They took this:

[​IMG]

... and not only ported the ultra-wide screen setup, but also extended the home port with tons of extra content. It's NOT your usual 1:1 arcade conversion. They took the arcade machine and its assets and build a whole playable Darius timeline into the Chronicle Saviours mode. 200 missions and endless combination of ship setups, unlocks, challenges and boss rushes. The missions in CS vary in playtime and difficulty: the perfect mix of learning the basics, slowly building skills and rewarding progression. Brilliant effort and one of the best arcade to home conversions out there. The 3D models scale super nicely and on PC resolutions beyond 4K are no issue. There's also a Taito splash screen when you boot the game, it also makes me very happy.

Played a few runs of Risk of Rain, which is still amazing for a quick game here and there. The imminent release on PSN and its trailer made me go back.

Prime likes this.