What are you playing? The Long Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayG, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Still DEEPLY invested in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - probably the hallmark PS4 experience for me, thus far. Narrowly edges out Bloodborne purely because its scope is so vast - yeah I know the combat is shallower, but like Bionic Commando, there's just something about how it all fits together that has me completely hooked and always aching for more.

I was nearing the end of the campaign and just didn't want it to end, so I decided that I would buy the expansion pass... Hearts of Stone here I come! And then this, In June...

[​IMG]

Knowing I'm madly in love with this game also has me seriously anticipating the release of Cyberpunk 2077
  2. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

After finishing off Hearts of Stone and waiting on the Blood and Wine expansion for the Witcher 3, I decided to start Dragon Age Inquisition... It's alright so far, nothing compared to the Witcher though... but then again, I doubt anything comes close to that game :)
  3. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

[​IMG]
    I don't see how this didn't work O _ o

I have been playing Kerbal Space Program! I've been wanting to try this for ages and now that I've got it? WOW it's great! :D It's really fun just building random rockets and watching them fail (blow up), but like everyone else my plan is to get a Kerbal to the moon and back... or explode trying.

But enough about me, what about you?
    Prime and Boric like this.
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Yakuza 5, got a little bit further through the Nagoya story. Still not in love with this part, but at least I see the yakuza angle now.

DARIUSBURST Chronicle Saviours, tons of CS Mode aka replay of the whole Darius timeline. Amazing how every mission is using the game's tool set in different ways. This SHMUP is definitely one of my favorites now, right up there with the likes of Gradius V, 沙羅曼蛇/Life Force, etc.

Refunct, awesome first person platformer with the movement fluidity of Quake, the platforming fun of Super Mario and a tiny bit of Qbert floor painting. You have to raise submerged platforms by reaching and pushing buttons. The more platforms are raised, the bigger the obstacle course gets and the harder it gets to reach the next button. Plays great, sounds great, looks great. My first Unreal4 engine game, buttery smooth, flawless frame pacing, so easy on the eyes.

Prime likes this.
  5. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

[​IMG]
    Started the new DOOM today. It's pretty awesome, reminds me of the good old days of Quake 3 Arena with how it moves. The levels (at least the first two, so far) seem fairly linear. There are cool big arenas to fight tons of demons in, but aside from a few multi-leveled areas to explore it's mainly Arena>corridor>arena>corridor - I never really played the original DOOM, but I hear the maps were like mazes, so if you want to play the new game and are expecting interesting level design, it's more interesting in terms of fun multi-tiered arena layouts. That being said though, there are 3 secrets per level to discover, and I haven't found any yet, so what do I know?

Amazing so far though, love the vibe of it. And yes, there's metal music in the background that kicks in when you're fighting tons of enemies!
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Man, there were so many deals lately for the original Doom games and even the Doom 3 BFG Edition (which comes bundled with I&II). I picked up the Doom 3 BFG for 2.49! Seems like they wanted to hype up people's nostalgia for the new DOOM.

Yeah, the original games were mazes. Part of the challenge was always path finding, switches and door unlocking. This is the second level of the first Doom:

[​IMG]

I only played more Yakuza 5 and moved on to the final chapter!
    Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I'm surprised how much that image looks like a map from the new DOOM. When you go into your map, it does look that complex, except there are big arenas where like a massive wave of demons will spawn, like a gauntlet. Oh and the map isn't complete in the game by default, you have to explore and activate a system in the level. Then it autocompletes the map for you. On a level to level basis, your map gets filled in as you explore if you don't find the automap thing.

As the levels have went on, I can certainly see quite a lot of depth to the level design though, even some vertical platforming/puzzle solving in order to get to the next objective.
  8. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

I've gotten a little gaming in here and there over the past couple weeks.
    I'm a few hours into Undertale now. Some pretty silly stuff. I've heard that pacifist mode was supposed to be hard. So I haven't harmed anyone yet... and it hasn't been too tough yet... We'll see how that continues.

I also finally got my *new* Nintendo 3DS XL set up, after picking up that Humble Nintendo bundle last week. Played a little Street Fighter IV 3D edition on there, before i inadvertently hit the power button during an online match and dropped out... hoping the button isn't always that easy to hit...

Also played some Roundabout, which is a really goofy FMV styled game. I don't care much for the controls, but the campy story keeps me going.
    Prime likes this.
  9. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I've heard the new 3DS is only necessary for that Xenoblade Chronicles 3D game, but does that extra analogue nub work as the "second stick" for Monster Hunter titles? It'd be very useful if it does... I downloaded MH Freedom Unite on my Vita and they have extra controls on the system side that allows you to change D-pad to analogue stick and so on, so you don't have to crab-claw it or anything. It'd be good if the new 3DS did that with the added analogue nub too, you should investigate - Monster Hunter games are good!
  10. Boric

I'll definitely have to look into if the nub is used in other games (and try a Monster Hunter demo). And yeah, I think Xenoblade is the only one that requires the new 3DS currently.
  11. Trickman

Trickman Co-Founder of this glorious place Staff Member

That's crazy. Nintendo's mind has been elsewhere in 2015-2016.
  12. Boric

Started up Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition this weekend. Hadn't yet played the original, but have put about 4 hours into this now, and wow, such a beautiful game. It's like taking a metroidvania game to a new level of artistry and emotion. Good challenge so far on normal difficulty. I've completed two of the three big objectives so far. Also, I can't seem to figure out some skills. I supposedly have an air-dash at this point, but I don't seem to have any "dash" skill currently.
    Prime likes this.
  13. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I haven't been here in a few days now - that being said, I bought my dad a 3DS a couple of years ago for his birthday, but he never really used it. So I asked him if I could buy it back off him. He told me I could just have it o_O (its a 3DSXL not one of the *new* models, but still awesome to have!)

So what have I been playing recently? Well, Since finishing the Doom campaign (and waiting on the Blood and Wine expansion for The Witcher 3) I've been installing games left and right on my Vita and playing with the 3DS. Here's what I've been dipping my toes into:

Frobisher Says: A cool wee "minigame" game on the Vita in the same vain as something like Wario Ware or Bishi Bashi Special. I only played it a couple of times so far but it's pretty fun and silly.

Everybody's Golf: To say I'm not into sports games is an understatement. But golf games, especially fun arcadey ones that have nice progression systems to them I actually REALLY love. So much so that after playing 36 holes in this I decided to get Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS!

Persona 4 Golden: I finished the original game on PS2 and got this when I got my Vita, but ended up for whatever reason never getting more than a few hours in. Hopefully this time this great game will finally grab me for another 60+ hours!

Smart As...: Caring for my dad means not getting out a lot... so with my brain activity dropping out one billion cells at a time, I thought it prudent to get back on the horse and try keeping my mind sharp, Smart As... on the Vita is like a quick blast of problem solving and mental agility each day, taking maybe just up to 10 minutes to finish quickfire challenges from four categories. It also has John Cleese narrating it!

LittleBigPlanet PSVita: I've said this many times, but I think the Vita is the perfect platform for the LittleBigPlanet games. The touchscreen, touchpad, gyroscope as well as built in camera and mic on the system is just the perfect all-in-one place to be creative on LittleBigPlanet. You could argue that The PS4 controller can be good too, with its touchpad, but it doesn't really come close to how well implemented it all is on Vita.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: This is probably the best Zelda game I've played since A Link to the Past on the SNES. Pretty much because it kinda just IS that old game, remade/retold with a new "wall merge" mechanic that is just plain one of the best implemented gameplay things I've ever seen!

I've had a go of various other Vita/3DS games as well as the occasional run in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth on steam but outside of those main games listed, nothing substantial. I'm waiting on Super Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario Golf World Tour for the 3DS though, so I'm fairly excited!
  14. RayG

it's that dog.jpg
    Hey, it's that dog!
    Been playing Resident Evil 4 HD for the PC! I just killed a cave troll. It's good. Seriously though, I had this for the PS2 but for some reason I never really played it. Correction, I played it and got stuck, and started playing something else. Which was a HUGE oversight on my part because, like I said, it's good! Also been playing To Be or Not To Be, a very silly choose your own adventure game based on Hamlet (Which makes it the second game I've played that is explicitly based on that play). It's very funny. Also Dark Souls.
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  15. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

You have to check out this project: http://www.re4hd.com/

Crapcom put very little effort into the "HD" re-release, so fans went in and started doing the heavy lifting.

[​IMG]
    Prime likes this.
  16. RayG

I did notice that for a game that had the option to switch between standard and HD that the textures looked all milky, but really it doesn't bother me. I'm more interested in stylistic choices that straight up fidelity. I was actually joking to Prime before downloading RE4 that "the download was too big, I don't even care about HD, just give me the standard def so I can download it faster" :p

Having said that, fan mods are cool and I may check it out again once it's all done.

Edit: But, I know what you mean about capcom putting in very little effort! I just compared the SD textures and HD textures and I cannot tell the difference! :rolleyes:
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  17. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Hopelessly addicted to:

I'm also really enjoying:

With Luigi being my fave character from the Super Mario series, it was a no brainer to get a game where he plays a pivotal role :D
  18. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I took a short break from gaming, but returned this last weekend for Dying Light. Picked up the whole enhanced edition package thingy with all the DLC, including The Following expansion. Techland finally managed to iron out the performance inconsistencies of the PC version. I'm happy to confirm, that it's running amazingly well now. I'm only 6 hours in, but already love the game. Grimy zombie apocalypse drama done right: TONS of zombies, open world with an insane amount of urban clutter, competent parkour, satisfying melee combat, RPG like progression, skill and quest system. Dying Light is like a fun mash up of: Mirror's Edge, Dark Souls, Skyrim, Left4Dead and The Walking Dead!
    Prime likes this.
  19. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Dying Light is for sure awesome. I bought the following expansion because me and my other friend Paul went through the base game together... Unfortunately we only had 1 session of it and uninstalled it... It just wasn't anywhere near as interesting as the vanilla experience :( - still though, the main campaign is excellent!
  20. RayG

shadowrun_dragonfall.jpg

Well, I started playing Shadowrun: Dragonfall again! Last time I got two/three hours in and met someone with magic eyes and I didn't have enough willpower to resist them... So I restarted the whole game again as a street mage. I mean how dare they! :rolleyes: Anyway, it's good, just like the last one, though I already suspect they're trying to pad the game out a bit which is annoying. I also tried Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown which total needs more people to play with. Oh, and I've been mucking around with a PS2 emulator, just trying out random games. So thats's fun.