What are you playing? The Long Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayG, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Still utterly engrossed in Animal Crossing New Leaf on 3DS - Kapp'n and his songs are just the best.

Also still playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros.

3DS gaming is pretty much it for me until No Man's Sky is finally released, I think. Monster Hunter Generations is coming in July as well, so there's that.

Games I Bought: Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer, Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival (Wii U), Mario Kart 7, Mario Tennis Open, Mario Party Island Tour, Luigi's Mansion 2, Ocarina of Time 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask and StarFox 3D...

So I have a LOT of fun ahead of me when the aforementioned games I'm currently playing are done... Although New Leaf is in real-time and can last you forever, so... :O
  2. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

lovers.jpg
    Daww :3
    Been playing Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime! It's amazing! Two players have to work together to control a single ship while trying to fight enemies, rescue bunnys and avoid asteroids. You need to co-op sucessfully or you can't do anything, it's great! Also, too much Shadowrun: Dragonfall! I like it alot, but it's going on far to long O _ O

Anyway, what about you?
    Prime likes this.
  3. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

I've been playing some more games on the 3DS lately.

Pokemon Picross is another great Picross game, with fun additions in catching Pokemon and using their skills. Unfortunately the freemium model is terrible, and you can only play new levels after about 10 days of daily training. I am pretty tempted to just drop $20 or whatever would give me enough Picrites to unlock the entire game(piece by piece, there doesn't seem to be any "unlock all" option), but I need to look up and see if that would be enough.

Additionally Pokemon Shuffle is a pretty enjoyable matching game. It seems the only limit here is waiting to get more turns, but that's pretty standard, and not very off-putting. 5 levels and a break isn't terrible.

I downloaded several demos on 3DS as well, including Fairune. This is billed as an action RPG, but is almost more of a puzzle game. You hurt enemies by running into them, but you also take damage at the same time. Weaker enemies can't hurt you at all, but don't give you experience. It seems like a fun basic RPG though, and I picked up the full version for a couple bucks once I finished the demo. This might be simple enough to get my 5 and 7 year olds to try without too much frustration.

I generally always have at least one idle or clicker style game in my life. Currently that game is Crush Crush on Steam. It's free, and basically an idle dating sim. Some interesting mechanics that are a bit different from others I've played, but relatively simple. Funny dialogue as well.

Additionally I've been working on finishing off Hexcells Infinite, the last game in the series. This series is a fantastic logic puzzle game in the style of minesweeper mixed with picross, only with many more interesting and varied ways of finding the bombs. I've technically beaten the game as I've perfected all the main levels, but was waiting to mark it as complete until I get the last achievement for finishing a number of randomly generated levels.
    Prime likes this.
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I'm still chipping away at Dying Light, 20 hours and counting. Just got the grappling hook, a literal game changer.
    Prime likes this.
  5. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I've been playing bits and bobs here and there, I think I burned myself out on too much Animal Crossing on the 3DS and 3DS in general though, because I haven't really been playing it for the last 3 or 4 days. I have, however been playing my Wii U - some New Super Mario Bros U on that, a smidge of Smash Bros and a wee shot of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze! - there's definitely some great games on the system, it's just a shame all of them tend to be Nintendo First Party IPs.

Oh and I got Unravel on PS4, on sale and.... EVERYBODY'S GOLF: WORLD TOUR - COMPLETE EDITION!
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Dying Light, 32 hours in and still having fun. I'm pretty over-powered by now, the violence is becoming more and more cartoonish. Yesterday I chopped a zombie in half, in the middle, with a jet-powered machete that is half taser and half blow torch. The zombie pieces were burning AND electro sparking. Needless to say, "zombie kill of the week".

Picked up a couple of games from the Steam Summer Sale. I especially enjoy The Hurricane of the Varstray -Collateral hazard- right now. It's a very polished doujin bullet hell SHMUP, ridiculously frantic, fast and fun.

Best 3 coins I spent in a while.
  7. RayG

lords of midnight.jpg
    Nope, not Gandalf, Frodo and argon. Nope, definitely not!
    Finished Shadowrun: Dragonfall recently so I've been playing bits and pieces again. Games like Lords Of Midnight which is magic and I can't even describe why o_O It's basically the feeling of Lord of Rings as a game. It's very good. I've also been playing Dark Quest which is basically Heroquest but not quite. It's just simple fun, I load it up and do a dungeon and then turn it off again. I like it, but the sequel looks way better!

Also played the first episode of Game of Thrones with my brother. That was very good too, though I'll wait for him to visit again to play more.

Anyway, enough about me, what about you?
    Prime likes this.
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

More Dying Light, getting really close to the end. Now I'm completely over-powered, sporting a Katana with 1000+ damage. Just looking at Zombies makes them explode into red vapor.

Picked up way too many things from the Steam Summer Sale.

Tengami, Zenzizenzic, The Hurricane of the Varstray, Recursion Deluxe, TRANSFORMERS: Devastation, Lovely Weather We're Having, Amaranthine, Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle, A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda EX, Geometry Dash, Party Hard, Ninja Senki DX, Crimsonland, You Must Build A Boat, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, Costume Quest 1 & 2 Bundle, System Shock Enhanced, BioShock 2, Minerva's Den, Parallax, The Room, Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Extended Edition Deluxe, Shadowrun Complete Collection, Please Don't Touch Anything, atorb, Gal-X-E, Six Sides of the World

atorb is pretty mindless and relaxing busywork, good for listening to podcasts.

Parallax is definitely one of my favorite sale discoveries, first person interdimensional puzzle platformer! It looks kinda like Antichamber, but the puzzles make sense. I've managed to solve the first 20 levels or so, it's been nothing but logic so far. The whole game is super tiny, install size around 60MB. Runs ultra smooth and is super easy on the eyes (if you change to a less contrast heavy color scheme).

EDIT: Forgot another one, The Path To Luma on Android. Completely free, no ads, no IAP, funded to promote clean and renewable energy. It's not preachy or anything, just a fun puzzle game with great presentation. You have to revitalize 20-30 wilted worlds, the puzzles to complete this task pan over the planet's sphere and require some spatial thinking.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    RayG and Prime like this.
  9. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Man, me and RayG tried Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown last night, so much fun to shadowrun missions together! :D
  10. RayG

I would bootleg a burrito

Yes, play Dragonfall! Dragonfall is good.

As for me, I've been playing 868-HACK. I remember people going crazy over this game back when it came out, and now I understand why! It's really fun and clever, and for something so minimal and atmospheric it manages to be very silly. I've also been playing Croixleur. It's a simple game but I like that. I like just like seeing how much further down I can get each go.

So, what about you?
  11. RayG

lastdoor2.jpg
    Hows it going? I've been playing some games, y'all! So, I've been waiting for the collected edition of The Last Door Season 2 since I finished the first one a year or two ago and so far it's scary o_O! It's so low res and pixely but man it's Silent Hill 1 level scary... So obviously I like it! So far I've only played episode 1 but I'm probably going to play the next one after posting this :p I've also been playing Goosebumps with my nephew, which is actually quite neat. It captures that slightly spooky, but not too spooky, vibe well. Oh and Croixleur Sigma is great.

But enough about me, what about you?
  12. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Still chipping away at Parallax, but I'm on the home stretch.

I've been digging into SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics and revisited Sonic, #1 down and currently playing #2.

I'm a big fan of the anime movie "Summer Wars", the big climax of the movie is a card game of Hanafuda. Never played said game and last week I saw Koi-Koi Japan [Hanafuda playing cards] on sale at Steam, 80% off, great user reviews. Instant pick up! It's awesome! Super beginner friendly with a quick and easy tutorial. I've managed to learn the basics in like 10 minutes. The card counting would require more memorization in real life, but the game handles the counting and makes things very accessible. Really lovely presentation of traditional Japanese music and art with small anime accents. Great little time waster, relaxing and each game lasts only like 15 minutes.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    RayG likes this.
  13. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I haven't been playing much recently due unfortunate circumstances but myself and RayG have been playing Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown on steam. And whilst not amazing in terms of story, essentially fixes the single player games "combat" gameplay by making it multiplayer. Shadowrun is always fun with friends! Up to 4 players can play the game through its campaign and side-missions, and the DLC adds even more to the game :)

I also started up Torment: Tides of Numenera (The early access follow up to Planescape: Torment) and as you'd expect from a Torment title, it's pretty amazing.
    RayG likes this.
  14. RayG

me.jpg
    Victorian Street Mage in an uncaring Cyber world
    Summer Wars is GREAT! But I need to ask: Can real life Hanafuda live up to the movie version? :p

Anyway, as Prime said, I've been playing Shadowrun: Boston Lockdown online with him and it's fun! So, obviously Dragonfall (play Dragonfall!) is a in a league of its own but just going on missions, having to work with a friend, it's good!
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  15. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Well, the stakes aren't as high as in the movie and the whole world isn't watching and cheering. BUT after a couple of hours with Hanafuda, I can totally understand why it's perfect for the given battle. It all looks cute and cuddly, but runs way deep: lots of strategy, baiting, risk and reward. Hanafuda feels like a wild mix of mahjong, poker, baseball and nuclear warfare. Crushing your opponents is very satisfying.

[​IMG]
  16. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

HoboDecker7R1M3.jpg
    7R1M3 - HoboDecker Extraordinaire!™ and his faithful sidekick "5AM"
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  17. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I recorded a couple of sessions of Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown with RayG - if you're interested, check 'em out!

Session 1

Session 2
  18. Anim8td_fan

Anim8td_fan Ambassador of Awesomeness Staff Member

I recently got Fallout 4 for PS4 from Gamefly and have been about a dozen hours into it.
  19. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Shadowrun Dragonfall - I'm at the final mission to go and storm the manor. Such an epic experience, the way they detail everything in the narrative and dialogue is just beyond amazing.

No Man's Sky - and it's as incredible as I thought it'd be!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, I named my home planet DownToForit X - it's in the King Donut system... what?!
  20. DJ Incompetent

DJ Incompetent Bronze Member

I am playing Lost Frontier on iOS. It is Advance Wars SRPG type with a western theme.