What are you playing? The Long Thread 2016

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayG, Mar 2, 2016.

1. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I'm playing Ratchet&Clank, the PS4 remake/reboot. Fun as ever and now extra lush.

It's been a while since I got into a twinstick shooter, so I tried two from my backlog.

Death Ray Manta is fun, but made me stop after 30 minutes: complete sensory overload. Its visuals are so busy, it almost hurts. I'll play more of DRM, but only in brief sessions.

Zenzizenzic, less fun, at least the first 3 (of 5) levels were pretty meh. Presentation and music are top notch, but the gameplay is weirdly unsatisfying. The bosses are kinda bullet spongy. Bullet patterns, enemy formation are slow and boring. Well, maybe it gets better.
    Prime likes this.
  2. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

karaski-game-promo-07.jpg
    I have started playing Karaski: What Goes Up, and it's pretty interesting! It's an Poirot-esque mystery game where you have to find out who has sabotaged the airship you are on. You have four suspects and depending on how you act (with them, the other passangers, the guards and if you're seen in places you shouldn't be) it changes the story around you. So far I've only talked to 2 of the suspects but everything is so full of character and charm. It has a slight Thirty Flights of Loving feel, which is awesome. Actually it reminds me of a free game I played a while ago called GrimExpress, where you have to solve a murder on a train.
    Prime likes this.
  3. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Yeah, it gets better. Level 4 is a whole different realm of joy and pain.
  4. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Picked up Handsome Mr Frog, such a fun little arcade romp. Kinda like Super Crate Box meets Bubble Bobble. It's like we unearthed a lost Taito arcade rom. I can't believe, that it's only 1 EUR/USD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prime and Boric like this.
  5. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Handsome Mr Frog looks awesome, might have to pick that up. Another one that sneaks by, and never hits the Steam front page of new releases :\
    Prime likes this.
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Beaten and looped Handsome Mr Frog, but I'm still coming back for more score hunting and with score I mean hat.

I'm still trophy whoring in Ratchet and Clank on PS4, great excuse to keep playing this awesome game.

I loved Grow Home and couldn't contain myself when Grow Up launched. You know something is up when ChryZ isn't waiting for a discount. I'm having a blast, it's so much easier to get around and the DNA replication allows for even more playful high jinks. Now it's a whole plant, so the playground got even bigger and more varied. Grow Up is on a whole different level, almost makes its predecessor feel like a prototype or proof of concept!
    Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Just been playing No Man's Sky... I can see the repetitiveness people complained about but for some reason my mind doesn't see it as a negative. I can literally fly through space and land on any one planet I want and the chances are it'll be the first time it's ever been seen by anyone ever or ever likely to be seen at all... and I can stamp my name on it.

That's the kind of power money can't buy!™
  8. Boric

Been piddling around with idle/clicker games a lot lately.

WEB
    I replayed A Dark Room this past week, which was the game that originally interested me in the genre a few years ago. I've still never seen a game quite like it. So good.

STEAM
    I've been nursing along Insanity Clicker and Crush Crush, as recent nerfs to both has dampened my interest.

Crusaders of the Lost Idols now reigns as my favorite Steam idle/clicker game. So many events, formations, skills and equipment which actually make min-maxing an exercise that is continuous, rather than finding the best strat and then not doing much else.

Also started Shop Heroes on Steam. Seems like a much more involved idler (not even sure if you'd call it that at this point). There's town building, questing, pvp, etc. Almost every item, building, character and piece of furniture can be upgraded. It seems a little slow at the beginning -- the main resources are gathered terribly slowly -- but hopefully it will get better.

MOBILE
    On my phone, Trials Frontier remains the best mobile game I've ever played. Still regularly updated after a couple years. Hundreds of tracks, events every so often, PvP, tournaments, fairly easily gained premium currency, and I still feel like i'm making regular progression and am still breaking my best times on tracks two years later.

A couple idle/clickers also have my attention on the phone now. Tap My Katamari brings all the whimsy of the Katamari universe to a clicker game that has turned out to be a bit more robust than I originally thought. It helps that it's in constant development it seems still. And Nonstop Knight combines the idle/clicker genre with dungeon crawling and loot grabbing. Timing your skills and choosing your loadout and skills gives you more agency than most idle games as well.

And of course, I can't ignore Super Stickman Golf 3. The latest in the series of amazing arcady golf games. So much to unlock, huge assortment of courses, and great live and asynchronous matches with other players. I easily dropped the cash for the premium unlock on this game.
  9. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

If anyone's interested, I stuck up my video review for King of Fighters XIV today!
    It's pretty decent!™

Oh and I got Deus Ex: Mankind Divided through the door today, so I'm getting stuck into that as well :D
  10. RayG

monster loves you.jpg
    I believe the fish.

Well, I haven't been playing much new recently, but I did start playing a game called No Thing. It's a very strange cyberpunk game set in the distant future of 1994 where you have to run along paths to deliver a message to the Queen of Ice! It's hypnotic, but very hard as if you make one mistake you have to restart the level! That makes it very tense but also a bit too frustrating.

I also played through Monster Loves You again, this time with my brother and my nephew. Well I let them play it while I watched and together they made way different choices than when it was me and my nephew alone! Like, they got the OPPOSITE ending! Anyway, game's great.

So,what about you!?
  11. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Steam is having a big SHMUP sale, http://store.steampowered.com/sale/shmup/ ... and I couldn't help myself and helped myself to:

Deathsmiles, fun, but still my least favorite CAVE game, gotta support their PC efforts tho

WOLFLAME, a very 90s arcade throwback from the makers of Supercharged Robot VULKAISER and SATAZIUS.

Steredenn, rogue-like SHMUP with stunning spritework and music, super fun too.

Enter the Gungeon, I'm in love: the animation, the spritework, the polish, the guns, the humor! It's incredible!

Prime likes this.
  12. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Been playing Grand Theft Auto V as well as some Destiny: The Taken King to prepare for the Rise of Iron expansion. I haven't really played much more No Man's Sky - I think I'm gonna backburner it for now until they come out with new content patches. Also had another little shot of DOOM. That's a fun game!

I also started The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion a couple of Days ago but haven't jumped back onto it yet. Seems really good so far though.

I finished Mankind Divided, it was a LOT shorter than I thought it would be.
  13. RayG

Been busy lately so I've only been playing some short, inbetween, games. Games like Croixleur Sigma, which has a 15 minute timer! I really like Croixleur, it's just fun to run and fight, and if I can complete it in under 10 minutes I unlock another character.... My best time is 10m7so_O Also still playing 868-HACK. Again, it's really quick but perfectly formed. Just turn it on for 5 minutes, attempt one run, and then turn it off again :p

Only other thing has been King Of Fighters 2002 and 13 with my brother last Sunday. It's funny, I used to play KOF all the time but playing it for an hour or two there has totaly wrecked my thumb! Total blistered. Guess I've gone soft in my old age...

Anyway, what about you lot? Any recomendations for tiny inbetween games? Been playing anything bigger? Tell us!
    Prime likes this.
  14. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

The Binding of Isaac is a great in-between game, as well as Spelunky... actually, anything that's roguelike is perfect for little bursts of play - I also recommend:

Don't Starve (there's also Don't Starve Together, which allows you to play the game online with a friend)
    Breakneck
    is an awesome Race The Sun style game
    Cubixx HD
    is now on Steam and has multiplayer!
    Devil Daggers pretty much "quick little game" incarnate
    Downwell
    as you already know, is amazing
    Hitman GO
    is really good.
    Hotline Miami (both of them) - they're like a trippy version of Loaded with the quick restart factor of Super Meat Boy.
    Knights of Pen and Paper, while not a roguelike and takes a long time, its very easy to pick up and put down saving quickly between gameplay sessions - and you can play it multiplayer if you want, despite it being pretty much single player only.
    RayG likes this.
  15. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Man, a good Spelunky run can take up to 30-60 minutes!

My inbetween games are/were:

- Super Crate Box
    - LYNE
    - Pushcat
    - Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey Remastered
    - Snakebird
    - Neko Atsume
    - Bit Blaster XL
    - The Path To Luma
    - atorb
    - Koi-Koi Japan
    - Handsome Mr. Frog
    - Bridge Constructor
    - Puzzle Quest
    - Reprisal Universe
    - Clickr
    - Joe Danger
    - PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+
    - 4 Elements
    - Splice
    - Waveform
    - Fractal
    - EDGE
    - Cogs

I played Tricky Tower, Tetris with physics!

RayG likes this.
  16. RayG

ss_cc0a3003ce9da0368e9d7a6f1ffcff23bb953741.1920x1080-thumb-480x269-17408.jpg
    Look at this! It's so cool!
    Wow, long time no see! Anyway, I just wanted you all to know that Odallus: The Dark Call is great! I'm a massive fan of joymasher's other game Oniken and this one proves they know what they're doing! I mean gosh it's fun! Kinda like Castlevania by way of Valis but with that oniken/joymasher feel. I really like it. Also it's on the Humble Gems Bundle right now, so you can try it for yourselves!

Other than that I've been busy working on my lastest cartoon, so I think the only other game I've played is Just Dance (which are still great!)! I've not even really been playing any 'inbetween' games o_O

So, what about you guys? Doing any better than me? :p
    Trickman likes this.
  17. Boric

Thanks for the heads up... just picked Odallus up in that bundle... as well as picking up the Day of the Devs bundle!
  18. Gruel

Gruel Hulkamaniac

I played a bunch of Left 4 Dead 2 last weekend, got through nearly two campaigns with a few friends. That inspired me to pick up Dying Light Enhanced Edition. Friends say I have to playthrough first half hour to open up coop so I briefly started that up yesterday and liked what I saw. Pretty sure I will like it since I loved original Dead Island and got through that.

I am on my Metal Gear quest off an on this year. So far this year I finished Metal Gear Solid on GameCube, MGS2 and 3 off the MGS HD Collection on PS3 and am currently working on Peace Walker off that collection too. Digging Peace Walker so far as it really changes things up with the whole Mother Base mechanic. I understand that Mother Base interface is used a lot in MGS5 so hopefully this will be a good primer for that as I plan on jumping into that after Peace Walker.

Also still getting in my weekly couple of hours of Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies on 3DS. I beat the four cases on the main game a couple weeks ago and am now on the DLC case. If you know the Phoenix Wright games you know what you are getting yourself into and I absolutely love them all. Looking forward to jumping into the recently released Spirit of Justice immediately afterwards.

Finally, lots of pinball. Zen Pinball 2 I usually start off all my gaming sessions with for about a half hour. Looking forward to the new Bethesda themed tables they just announced.
    Trickman likes this.
  19. RayG

Still play Odallus, obviously, but part 2 of Void and Meddler is out and so far it's great! It's at once grim and horrible as it is beautiful. ALSO, I know there is tons of sales on but I bought A Good Bundle, which comes ith a whooping 115 itch.io games (ALL the proceeds go to chairty), so I'm gonna have to work through that :p

What about you guys?
  20. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

Skyrim.

Should be fun again, already built my first house and adopted a kid