What are you playing this week? 2nd July 2014!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by RayG, Jul 2, 2014.

1. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

Hello peeps, it's Wednesday again! Time to tell everyone what you've been playing this week and if you'd recommend it to your fellow Retroider...er...I mean, VG Evo'ers:rolleyes:

What have you been playing?
    What are you playing now?
    What are you playing this weekend?

buzz.jpg

As for me, I've been playing Buzz! on the ps2. It's a quiz game that uses special buzzers to mimic the feel of a gameshow. There's a ton of them (there on the ps3 as well) and they're excellent. Especially because anyone from wee kids to grannys can play it at the same time and have fun:) I also played Super Amazing Wagon Adventure. which is very, very, silly.

But enough about me, what about you? Answer as you see fit.
    Prime likes this.
  2. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure is fantastic! So quick-fire and silly!

I actually completed 2 games this week! For the first time in a long time, I actually buckled down and finished something!

The LEGO Movie Videogame and LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes! in preparation for LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham coming nearer the end of this year!!!!

Because I'm back on my super hero kick as well, I'm playing through Batman: Arkham Origins in preparation for Batman: Arkham Knight later this year too!
  3. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Lyne (Steam) - A interesting and cleanly designed puzzle game. I've gone through the first three sets, but am worried it's just going to start get overly complicated to solve very soon (and there are tons of level sets and daily sets as well).

SHOVEL KNIGHT (Steam) - I put some thoughts in the game completions thread, but to echo them here... This game is awesome. If you loved games like Mega Man on the NES. You will love this. Great sprite based graphics, good chiptunes. Fun gameplay with lots of secrets. I spent about 5 hours on my first playthrough and it seems there is even a new game + to check out. There's also a lot of quirky and challenging achievements to extend gameplay as well.

Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)- I never met a Mario Kart I didn't like, but the ease of online play definitely adds to this one. I have had a few issues with slight desync though, where I think I'm finishing in 1st, but end up in 2nd even though the next racer was behind me on my screen. Still a great experience with great tracks.

Trials Gold: Evolution (Steam) - I loved the original Trials on 360, and I really enjoy Trials Frontier on my phone. Yet somehow this "Definitive" version is pretty poor... First off, I get terrible stutter to my framerates, no matter what I do. I've followed some advice on the steam forums, and it didn't seem to help much. Secondly, while these fancy camera angles are cool from a showing off the game perspective, they make determining height, distance and angles very hard. Half the time as I'm coming down for a landing I can't tell what angle my bike needs to be to land clean. And third, frankly all these ridiculous background effects like bombs dropping and explosions, are just annoying and distracting, and don't add much to the experience.

I'm gonna try to start getting through a lot of these Steam games I got during the sale. So I'll probably be playing a lot more new games soon. :)
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Prime likes this.
  4. DocNonsensical

DocNonsensical Emir of Shmo

Finally getting down with some Rayman Origins on 3DS. Grabbed that on the Nintendo e-shop this week, as a bunch of Ubisoft games are anywhere from 25% to 75% off, if I remember correctly.
    Prime likes this.
  5. RayG

I keep saying it, but Rayman Origins is brilliiant ;)
    DocNonsensical and Prime like this.
  6. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Played way too many games, no focus at all. Bit more Deus Ex, manifolded more Trine 2, got side tracked by Joe Danger, lined up in LYNE, folded for KAMI, suicided in LOVE, blasted through Resogun's new update. So much to play, so little time *sigh*
    Prime likes this.
  7. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

So weird, I've done nothing BUT focus this week, Just this morning I completed Batman Arkham Origins! - Dunno what to play now though, I'll have to have a little look at my list.

~Prime
    DocNonsensical likes this.
  8. Boric

Played through Actual Sunlight on Steam last night... pretty intense look at depression...
  9. Boric

So Papers, Please. Man that was tediuos and only became more tedious. Just when you think you can dig yourself out of the hole by getting better at processing people, there's new sets of rules and such, and you just can't keep up. It certainly puts you in the role and makes you feel it, but it's not particularly fun as a game. Definitely interesting to play for a while once for the artistic merits though.

You Have to Win the Game was a pretty fun platformer, if you like things like VVVVVV, definitely check this out, it only takes about an hour to play through.
  10. RayG

I tried You Have to Win the Game, but at about 93% I started going in circles o_O

Also, most people who talk about Papers Please don't talk about it being fun but instead about the emotional agony of having to make painful decisions and the sense of complicity with an evil system that subtly sneaks up on them. I wonder, did you feel any of that?
  11. Boric

Hmmm, I really didn't feel much of that, possibly because I only went ten days before being arrested for giving up info on the secret society (Too Honest).

There were very few people who made emotional pleas of any sort, and most of them only pled after having been confronted with forged information or having expired documentation. Which particularly in the first case, I felt no sympathy for.

The woman whose husband went through earlier but she couldn't, well they should have made sure their documents were in order and gotten in line together too. I mean, the stuff they required in the game wasn't much worse than what I've been required to have to get my driver's license changed to my new state (I had to go and wait in line for hours at the DMV multiple times just to be told I didn't have all the info), trying to work with my mortgage company to get rid of my old house over the past year+... or even deposit a check here sometimes in America now. Maybe the game is supposed to make us correlate the fact that this is what America (or possibly other nations) are becoming? And thankfully I've never attempted to obtain a passport, or fly anywhere, particularly out of country, I don't even want to imagine what a pain that would be.

Now obviously my issues are "First World Problems" but the only "life or death" situation I ran across in the game ended with me detaining the sex trafficker to save the one woman(and others). But that was an easy choice.

I dunno, maybe I'm just evil or callous? Or maybe other people who play the game get a lot more people asking for leniency and begging, and I barely got any? Maybe if you let one person slip by others try to use similar tactics?