What are you watching? 2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Prime, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

Hey guys, I was inspired to do a thread like RayG has on what we've been playing - but for Netflix or Movies and such after watching an incredible show yesterday and today!

If you want to join in on the discussion just post what you've been watching - and a brief, spoiler-free synopsis, where you seen it (i.e. streaming service, TV, Cinema, Bluray/DVD) and whether you'd recommend it or not.

So up first for me, is definitely Stranger Things.

Its a show about a kid that goes missing in small-town America during the 1980's but it has a slight weirdness to it, like a Government Conspiracy meets Silent Hill kinda vibe and due to it being set in the 80's it's filled with great synthy music (especially the title theme) It's a Netflix original, so you won't see it on TV, but maybe it will be released as a season box set sometime. Wynona Ryder is in it and believe it or not, she does a decent job!

Highly Recommended, if you have Netflix and haven't seen the show (and if weird horror fiction is your bag) totally give it a shot. It's only 8 episodes long, so if you like binge-watching shows it shouldn't take too much of your time either! :)

Here's the theme, it's awesome!
  2. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

I watched Hardcore Henry the other day. It's a completely messed up first person action movie, the story is very videogamey, the violence on display beyond reason, amazing feats of parkour, excellent fight choreography, horrible language, naughty bits, the whole nine. Viewer discretion is advised. I liked the flick a lot.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  3. Boric

Boric The Netherfiend Staff Member

Hope this catches this year! I tried to start the thread last year (or year before?), but it kinda died out :)

My current obsession isn't exactly a watching, but I'll mention anyhow, as it probably doesn't need it's own thread. I never have time for books these days, with the job and kids, and the commute. (And the fact that I read the same speed in my head as I do out loud) So I picked up an Audible free trial right around Prime Day, when they offered $10 credit + 3 free months. My first choice was a book I owned and was very interested in but making little progress: Ready Player One. I'm getting close to the end of it, and the audiobook works great on my 1.5 hour commute to takes kids to school and get to work, and equal length trip home. Any gamers, particularly those who grew up in the 80s, will love this. The amount of references is intense, and it's all wrapped in a very cool story about a future world with an online video game contest the entire world gets swept up in. I've heard they're working on a movie adaptation, and I just can't see it being done well at all.

Beyond that, I've recently finished a few movies:

American Ultra - A surprisingly good flick about a stoner who is a latent CIA agent. Great character development.

Trainspotting - Maybe this would have been more shocking had I watched when I was younger. I was told it was as disturbing as Requiem for a Dream, but I didn't think so, nor did I care for the movie much. I learned more about illicit drugs though , so that's something, lol

10 Cloverfield Lane - I went into this trying to avoid any information about it as best I could, and it worked. The first 2/3 of the movie had me completely riveted as to what was actually happening. And the last 1/3... well I'll let you find out. One of John Goodman's best for sure. Highly recommended.
    Prime likes this.
  4. RayG

RayG Who's my next challenger?

twinpeaks horse.jpg
    This... This is scene is terrifying! It really, really, is.

So, I've been slowly working my way through Twin Peaks! Anyone else here watched this? I've heard alot of people don't like it, and I can get why, but Twin Peaks is amazing. I am amazed by it. It is at once as bizzare and terrifying as it is silly and mundane. It's so campy, even boring at times, and then bang it's not silly anymore. It's not nice anymore. The emotionaly whiplash is real and I love it. Currently I am halfway through the second series and I absolutely will watch the rest... and the movie... and the new series in 2017 :p

It also makes me want to play more Deadly Premonition. ;)
    Prime likes this.
  5. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Huh? Twin Peaks is, in general, highly regarded. Just look at IMDB (8.9, 100K votes) and RT (avg user score 93%). It's probably millennials with their 30 seconds attention span who can't get into the show because their phone is more interesting :p

I watched Twin Peaks back in the 90s and loved every second of it. I didn't even had David Lynch on my radar back then, learned afterwards about his involvement and slapped my forehead in a kinda "of course" sorta way.
    Prime likes this.
  6. RayG

That's the thing, right? The reason I started watching Twin Peaks is that a lot of my favourite critics all started talking about it at the same time and it sounded great. It's influence is undisputed, everything references it, even Sesame Street! But anytime I've asked someone IRL who seen it back in the day, it's always: "it's weird", followed by a headshake like "That thing? You like that? Really?". I get the same reaction with the movie Videodrome.

I don't think that's a coincidence either. Both show and film have a kind of dreamlike aspect to them, where the world they take place in might not be entirely real. Most movies try so hard to convince us that what's happening is actually taking place in the literal sense that when they don't no one knows how to parse it anymore and it just becomes "weird". Which is a shame because Twin Peaks is awesome. And Videodrome.
    Prime likes this.
  7. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

English Vinglish was recommended to me and it was delightful. It's a really warm "fish out of water" story about self improvement and self respect; amazing movie about the human condition. Side note: the way people came together regardless of culture, religion, language in this 2012 movie I'd call ideal, but now seems almost unrealistic in the post-Trump USA.

10 Cloverfield Lane, I went all media black out on this one and it paid off. I enjoyed the wild ride of mystery, drama and suspense. John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were killing it, they did so much with so little.
    Boric and Prime like this.
  8. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Queen, another Bollywood Lite recommendation, young woman got stood up minutes before her wedding and decides to go solo on the already booked honeymoon trip to Europe. She being sheltered, rattled, naive and innocent results in an amazing journey of self discovery and rapid character development: delightful movie, full of awe and wonder.

Mr Robot, forgot to mention this show. I'm up to date with season 2. I reserve final judgement, but so far I like season 1 better. Script, acting and the hacking bits are still very good though. They aren't working the premise hard enough, everything in season 1 was more eventful. This show is about a vigilante hacker who turns the world upside down and yes, it's more complicated than that.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Prime likes this.
  9. RayG

Finding Dory - I went to see this with my nephew yesterday and is pretty much what you'd expect from a pixar movie. Sweet, heartfelt and everything turns out ok in the end. We enjoyed it! Also, has anyone else notice that pixar seems to depict human children as terrifying monsters, like all the time?

Steven Universe - Another thing I've been watching with my nephew! Basically, three alien space mums look after their magic human child. But it's also, oh, so much more than that. It's dealing with themes and ideas well beyond what a lot of adult TV does, though in a cute, kid friendly way. It the kind of show my nephew is gonna go back to in his twenties when he does that thing everybody does where they go "what was that old cartoon I used to watch as kid?" and his mind is going to be blown away! What I'm saying here, is that it's great!
    Prime likes this.
  10. ChryZ

ChryZ Chaos Engineer

Stranger Things, finally watched it too. Pretty much a very serious version of the Goonies. I liked the show, especially the last episode. The kid actors were killing it. The soundtrack was also awesome, the synthwave theme so Carpenter, the licensed tracks also not your catchy 80s pop, but again the more serious stuff (The Clash, Joy Division, New Order, etc). Moby's When It’s Cold I’d Like to Die got to me, I have his album Everything Is Wrong since '95 and recognized the song right away. The perfect tune for the given moment at the end. Lots of 80/90s horror movie influences, I chuckled when in the show there were movie posters of Evil Dead and The Thing hanging in the kid's room. Way to put the references in plain sight, hehe.
    Prime likes this.
  11. Prime

Prime Desires Bionic Arm

I was hankering for something good to watch without committing a lot of time to checking out new stuff to see if it was good. So I decided to start watching Breaking Bad again - brilliant show :D

Yeah! Science, bitch!
  12. teran36

teran36 Bronze - Well-known

I'm starting to get into Flash.
    It's pretty good so far, much better than Arrow.
    Arrow just seems to drag on and on